Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lbsteenwyk

Just Got "the Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread"

My Mom sent me a copy of Bette Hagman's The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread. I was so excited to try out some of her recipes. I've been using her standard rice four mix for baking, but I mixed up a batch of the Four Flour Bean Mix and made the following recipes:

Springy Corn Bread (pg 151)- this turned out great - my kids ate it up!

Cheesy Vegetable Corn Bread (pg 152) - I thought this was even better. My husband really liked it, but my kids wouldn't eat it - "It has too many LITTLE THINGS in it"

Streusel-Topped Apple Muffins (pg 219) - these were so good, I made them twice. I didn't make the streusel topping, but they were great anyway. The second time, I reduced the flour by 1/4 cup and added 1/4 cup of ground flaxseed to make them more nutritious. My kids loved these.

I am going to try a yeast bread soon. Does anyone have any favorites from this book, or any critiques to share?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Sue - Welcome to the board. How old is your daughter? Is she adjusting well to the gluten-free diet? My daughter has been gluten-free since 26 months, so she really doesn't know any different. I am about to send her to preschool, though, so things may get more complicated!

My poor copy is getting worn around the edges at this point. I went out and bought those little sticky tabs and placed them on critical pages with labels so that I could get to my favorites easily. I love the rye bread and the pretzels best of all. The French Bread mix makes great bread sticks and a pretty good pizza crust if you blind bake it. The bagels are pretty good as well.

Try them all. Decide on your own favorites.

I made a pizza crust using her recipe this morning as we are going to a pizza party tonight for a birthday. We will be bringing our own fixings... any way, my son nibbled a little piece off the edge of the crust while it was cooling and declared it "great! It tastes like Pizza crust!). Success!

Does this book have a recipe for light/fluffy hot dog buns, hamburger buns? Some of the ones I buy for Logan, are so heavy and dense, that he usually just leaves them on his plate, eating the meat only. The only thing these heavier buns are decent for is "English-muffin" home made pizzas.

I've found one fellow in a tiny local bakery who bakes the best gluten-free hot dog buns, but his recipe is a closely guarded secret, and I'm worried because he has got to be well beyond retirement age already! It would be a shame to no longer have access to great hotdog/hamburger buns, when this local guy finally gives up baking for a living.

Also, do you have hotdog bun pans? Where did you get them and what can I expect to pay for them?

Hi Laurie - Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I haven't checked this board in a while. My daughter is 13. We just went gluten-free for her in Feb. She had been having severe abdominal cramping and she tested positive for gluten sensitivity - gluten-free has cured her cramping and she is like a new person emotionally. I'm amazed at the difference!

Someone also asked about hot dog buns - I'm going to try using Bette Hagman's Butter Basted Bread recipe (from More From the gluten-free Gourmet) for that. It's the closest I've found to a white bread (or you can make it more "wheaty" by using brown rice flour).

Sue