darkhorse

Ice Cream Or Cream Alternative

Rate this topic

I have recently figured out that I am coconut intolerant, much to my dismay. <_< I had been using coconut as an alternative to dairy for cream and ice cream, but now that option is gone. What are other alternatives for cream or ice cream that I can use that are gluten, dairy, soy, and coconut free? I have seen rice dream ice cream, but I have heard that the rice dream milk is not gluten free so that makes me wary of their ice cream as well. Just to note, the cream would be for cooking (mostly for deserts) and the ice cream for, well, ice cream. :D

Any suggestions?

mimiccream is a new thing I've seen at whole foods - made from almonds and cashews. might be worth a try?

I read online that some sensitive celiacs react to Rice Dream and I avoided letting my sensitive 8 year old daughter have it as Disney World this last visit. BOY, am I glad that I did! Once we got home, I let her have some vanilla organic Rice Dream ice cream at a function the last day of school. She was ill for weeks (immediately after the bowl of ice cream that I had prepared for her at home and personally served to her - so no cross contamination). Since then, I have purchased Good Karma rice ice cream at Kroger's and Whole Foods. NO REACTION! I am thrilled! Be careful, though - there is soy in the Key Lime flavor because of the graham crust. Maybe this brand will work for you? Before rice was re-introduced into her diet, I made ice cream from Vance's Dari-Free (potato based milk) - not as yummy, but did the trick....

Good luck to you finding a new favorite!

I have a cream called Isola Bio Crema di Riso. It's an Italian product you might be able to find online (basically cream made from rice). It says gluten-free on the carton.

You might want to check into Rice Dream ice cream, because I think (but I'm not sure) that the ice cream is actually made a different way and doesn't contain gluten.

You could also try frozen bananas blended or put through a juicer for a creamy dessert.

You can make an ice cream out of bananas. Simply break them in chunks then put in the freezer until frozen. When you're ready to eat, put them in your blender. If you want another flavor, you can add frozen berries, chocolate, nuts or whatever you like.

You can also make a refreshing dessert with canned pineappple chunks. Drain off the juice, reserve it in the fridge and flash freeze the pineapple. Drop the frozen chunks in your blender and add a little juice if needed to get the texture you want. It's actually a little more like a pudding, but quite cold and very good!

I like unsweetened almond milk for cooking. I make smoothies and frappes with those as well. Frozen fruit plus the milk and sweetener in your blender makes and ice cream like smoothie.

I like unsweetened almond milk for cooking. I make smoothies and frappes with those as well. Frozen fruit plus the milk and sweetener in your blender makes and ice cream like smoothie.

Almond Breeze has soy (for the original poster).

Ryza is free is of all of those. It's a rice milk, so not as thick as cream. You can also cream any nuts. I use cashew cream often.