This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Low Oxalate Diet

ranger

ranger Enthusiast

Did a little research on the role of zonulin on leaky gut and celiac. Sounds reasonable to me - not only the premise, but also some " glutens" that I couldn't explain. But to give up chocolate and coffee? Yikes! But, if it works, I'd do it. It's called the low oxalate diet. Any one doing it or know more about it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I do not know specifically of it. But for a spell, I did grain free/legume free. It went very well for me. I lost some weight (but not too much), my bloating issues went way down (so long as I also ate zero sugar). Ultimately as a vegetarian, it did not work too well - but for a while when I was doing Paelo diet, it worked great. Couldn't quite stick with eating dead animals though, at least not to that degree.

good luck

tarnalberry Community Regular

I tried a low-oxalate diet before (though I've not heard it connected to zonulin/gut-health). It was for pelvic pain.

Unless it means my life depends on it, I will never do the diet again. I know some people *DO* follow the diet, and they do fine, but there are SO FEW vegetables and not a whole lot of fruit you can eat on the diet. No green tea (which I drink every day). Half the spices I use are out. No berries, peaches, pears, oranges, pineapple. Nothing but processed corn and white or wild rice. No beans or nuts except lentils and coconut. All the meat you want, of course. But no broccoli, carrots, garlic, green beans, leaf lettuce, mushrooms, onions, peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, spinach, chard, sweet potatoes, and so on. (Open Original Shared Link I got really tired of eating chicken, rice, and zucchini all the time - like virtually every day. And if it's not summer, practically no fruits at all.

I just didn't feel like I was getting a wide enough variety of food/nutrients.

Of course, that was a stricter low-oxalate diet than some might take (no more than 1 medium oxalate food per day, and never high oxalate foods).

I'm not saying the diet won't work for anyone, and the only way you can know is to try it. Just go in with a plan, so you know how you're going to do it.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I've done it

without soy, dairy, gluten, nightshade's and then the fruits and veg being so limited........i could only do for about 4 months but i really did see a big improvement and felt better and the swelling in my tumors were dramatically smaller but.........

the Dr.s couldn't see the 'scientific' reasoning for it so dismissed it.

They agreed the tumors were shrinking however!.......on the low oxalate forum Susan Owens states that the oxalate's can bind to tissue ............but esp. make kidney stones. My urologist doesn't even have his kidney stone patients on it........he says the diet is too hard and the patients just won't even try it.

guess we are the tough ones........us silly yaks...........

At least i can eat some dairy now after 4 years.

Judy

ranger Enthusiast
I've done it

without soy, dairy, gluten, nightshade's and then the fruits and veg being so limited........i could only do for about 4 months but i really did see a big improvement and felt better and the swelling in my tumors were dramatically smaller but.........

the Dr.s couldn't see the 'scientific' reasoning for it so dismissed it.

They agreed the tumors were shrinking however!.......on the low oxalate forum Susan Owens states that the oxalate's can bind to tissue ............but esp. make kidney stones. My urologist doesn't even have his kidney stone patients on it........he says the diet is too hard and the patients just won't even try it.

guess we are the tough ones........us silly yaks...........

At least i can eat some dairy now after 4 years.

Judy

Can you tell me more about the reduction of your tumors? My friend has metastatic breast cancer. She had a mastectomy, but the cancer came back in her chest wall, liver, lungs, and brain. She is sceduled for surgery to remove the brain tumor on July 16. The chemo has shrunk her body tumors, but it won't go through the blood-brain barrier. That's how I came acress this diet. Zonulin not only creates spaces in the intestines, but also in the blood-brain barrier. Let me know if you have any info on that.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Can you tell me more about the reduction of your tumors? My friend has metastatic breast cancer. She had a mastectomy, but the cancer came back in her chest wall, liver, lungs, and brain. She is sceduled for surgery to remove the brain tumor on July 16. The chemo has shrunk her body tumors, but it won't go through the blood-brain barrier. That's how I came acress this diet. Zonulin not only creates spaces in the intestines, but also in the blood-brain barrier. Let me know if you have any info on that.

Hi

My tumors are not cancer related but you could still check this site out

I put a link to a link on the low oxalate yahoo forum list.

Open Original Shared Link

I don't have any info on the zonulin.....i'm sorry

Happygirl Laura knows about this drug and you might PM her

hope your friend gets some help. It's nice your trying to help.

Judy

Archived