peternz

White Furry Coated Tongue - Minocycline

Rate this topic

Hi,

Has anyone here with Celiac's ever had long term use of minocycline and suspect it may have triggered it off. Also, has anyone ever had a badly coated white furry tongue with associated pressure in the sinuses and dizziness.

AS to the tongue - does it seem like TRUSH? A yeast infection of the mouth? That would be triggered by antibiotics.

As to causation factors ... I don't know. But I was on amoxacyllin a lot as a kid, and ended up with ITP (autoimmune blood disease) and triggered Celiac. It's certainly a theory out there.

Yeast is definitley a possiblity with any antibiotic.

But another thought.......I get the furry tongue thing when I reduce my diet to my safe foods so that I can test a new food. I think it's a detoxing reaction. Sometimes I get a runny nose and a scratchy throat along with the furry tongue. I have to wait until this all clears up before testing the new food.

I always had a white, furry tongue when I was younger and when I went off gluten and got through the detox process it cleared up. Now when I eat something that does not set well with my system, especially a lot of yeast the white tongue comes back.

Hi,

Has anyone here with Celiac's ever had long term use of minocycline and suspect it may have triggered it off. Also, has anyone ever had a badly coated white furry tongue with associated pressure in the sinuses and dizziness.

Yes, my tongue is also coated white. Though it appears like it is clearing up, I think it could be due to my gluten intolerance or possibly also a yeast intolerance I may have.... I have not professionaly been diagnose for gluten intolerance, due to my 2 week diet before testing. Though I'm trying to get thyroids test done etc... since I think I have other health problems.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have actually been ill for 25 years, undiagnosed, to the point where I have been unable to work but just got back IGg allergy blood test results and it came up severe for milk, casein and eggs and moderate for Wheat, rye and barley. The problem started back in 1984 when I lost 2 stone in weight, had bowel problems, was cold all over, constant dizziness, coated tongue, pressure in ears and sinuses. So I've just started a gluten, egg and dairy free diet. Let's hope for the best.

By the way, many years ago I had a course of Fluconazole, a powerful anti-fungal drug, which made no improvement, so it's not a fungal thing.