This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Irony Of Going Gluten-free, For Me

foodiegurl

foodiegurl Collaborator

It all started when I casually said during my physical that I had some reflux and bloating...nothing painful, just some stuff I noticed. So, I find out I have celiac, and was really nervous about cutting out gluten for the reason that happening now. Now, when I do get some in me, like last night, my stomach feels like h*ll.

So, I go from making my body better with taking out the gluten to now being in total pain when I do accidentally get glutened, when I was never in pain previously :( :(

I bake like crazy, and obviously before I used wheat and never felt any ill effects.

Last night, I had some fish tacos from a little taqueria. I made sure the fish was only grilled, and on corn tortillas with cilantro, cheese, lettuce and tomato, and didn't eat any beans and rice, but did eat chips, no salsa.

Also, I had about 1/4 cup glass of red wine, I seriously had only a tiny, tiny bit.

2 hours later...my stomach felt huge, and my intestines felt like they were burning, and I was freezing and wrapped in a blanket. I wanted to hurl and go potty, but I was terrified to hurl, and have the gluten go through my body again. I didn't have D, but wanted it, to rid it of my body, if that makes sense.

I took Tums, and they did NOTHING. Question, is there something I can take in situations like these to ease the pain?

Thankfully, I was finally able to get in bed in the fetal position, and woke up feeling pretty normal, except with a slightly fragile tummy.

I am assuming it was gluten..maybe from the chips being fried with something gluteny?

Then I am wondering if it was the red wine combined with it. The last time I had red wine, over 3 months ago, I ended up in pain, but it was more like a heartburn pain in the beginning of being gluten-free, and this felt like it was past my stomach. That is why I had so little wine, because of what happened to me last time.

I seriously think this is the first time since I have gone gluten-free, I could be sure this was a glutening. I assumed I was not sensitive, and then this. Though, I have been 100% gluten-free, and our home is 100% gluten-free since diagnosis, no cheating.

I usually am fine when I eat out, Indian, middle eastern and Thai have been easy and successful for me, as have an occasional quick lunch at Noodle & Co. But now, I am terrified to eat out or at anyone's house, because I am so scared to feel like that again. And this Friday we are spending the night at a friend's an hour away, and I am already stressing about it, even though I know they will go out of their way to make sure they are stocked with gluten-free goodies for me.

Any advice, or products I could take when this happens to me next?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sylviaann Apprentice
It all started when I casually said during my physical that I had some reflux and bloating...nothing painful, just some stuff I noticed. So, I find out I have celiac, and was really nervous about cutting out gluten for the reason that happening now. Now, when I do get some in me, like last night, my stomach feels like h*ll.

So, I go from making my body better with taking out the gluten to now being in total pain when I do accidentally get glutened, when I was never in pain previously :( :(

Last night, I had some fish tacos from a little taqueria. I made sure the fish was only grilled, and on corn tortillas with cilantro, cheese, lettuce and tomato, and didn't eat any beans and rice, but did eat chips, no salsa.

Also, I had about 1/4 cup glass of red wine, I seriously had only a tiny, tiny bit.

2 hours later...my stomach felt huge, and my intestines felt like they were burning, and I was freezing and wrapped in a blanket. I wanted to hurl and go potty, but I was terrified to hurl, and have the gluten go through my body again. I didn't have D, but wanted it, to rid it of my body, if that makes sense.

I took Tums, and they did NOTHING. Question, is there something I can take in situations like these to ease the pain?

Thankfully, I was finally able to get in bed in the fetal position, and woke up feeling pretty normal, except with a slightly fragile tummy.

I am assuming it was gluten..maybe from the chips being fried with something gluteny?

Then I am wondering if it was the red wine combined with it. The last time I had red wine, over 3 months ago, I ended up in pain, but it was more like a heartburn pain in the beginning of being gluten-free, and this felt like it was past my stomach. That is why I had so little wine, because of what happened to me last time.

I seriously think this is the first time since I have gone gluten-free, I could be sure this was a glutening. I assumed I was not sensitive, and then this. Though, I have been 100% gluten-free, and our home is 100% gluten-free since diagnosis, no cheating.

I usually am fine when I eat out, Indian, middle eastern and Thai have been easy and successful for me, as have an occasional quick lunch at Noodle & Co. But now, I am terrified to eat out or at anyone's house, because I am so scared to feel like that again. And this Friday we are spending the night at a friend's an hour away, and I am already stressing about it, even though I know they will go out of their way to make sure they are stocked with gluten-free goodies for me.

Any advice, or products I could take when this happens to me next?

Based on my personal experience, there are several possibilties for your reaction to the meal. I discovered that some corn products (i.e. Tortilla chips and corn tortillas) cause me to react as if I had ingested gluten. I suffered from bloating and gas pain whenever I ate these products. When I stopped eating these products, my problem went away. Cross contamination from a restaurant is another possibility or you could have experienced BOTH problems. The best way to rule out corn is to remove it from your diet for two weeks and then resume eating the same items that may have bothered you. You will have your answer (as far as food intolerance).

Best of Luck,

Sylvia Ann

foodiegurl Collaborator

Thanks for your suggestion, however, I am pretty sure it is not corn. i eat it daily with no issue. I eat corn on the cob every weekend when we cook out, and I eat corn chips and corn tortillas at home daily. Though, I buy chips that say gluten-free, and tortillas a trust. I guess at a restaurant they could have fried the chips with something breaded and fried??

I had a corn tortillas earlier and felt fine after, even with my sensitive tummy today. And about to make some corn bread.

Darn210 Enthusiast

My daughter's one and only "official" glutening that came from corn tortilla chips . . . it happened at school and when I went to check the ingredients, it listed both wheat and oats in the ingredients!!!! Who would have thought?? Have you been to that restaraunt before? Eaten their chips before? Are you sure their chips are safe? Did they put any seasoning on the fish?

foodiegurl Collaborator
My daughter's one and only "official" glutening that came from corn tortilla chips . . . it happened at school and when I went to check the ingredients, it listed both wheat and oats in the ingredients!!!! Who would have thought?? Have you been to that restaraunt before? Eaten their chips before? Are you sure their chips are safe? Did they put any seasoning on the fish?

You know, I did go there one time before, but it was just a week after going gluten-free, and I felt a bit bad, but I thought it was the onion and my system since it was absorbing stuff it hadn't in a long time. This time I got no onions.

But true...I have no idea about the chips, and should have asked. Usually, I am so good about asking, and calling ahead of time..and I just flaked this time. As well as any seasoning on the fish...both are possibilities.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I do have a suggestion for the pain. When I get glutened I take name brand liquid Pepto Bismal. It does not stop the D that follows for me a couple of days later but it relieves the stomach pain within minutes and generally with just one dose. Don't know if it would work that well for you but if you can take it you may want to try it or keep some on hand in case it happens again.

foodiegurl Collaborator
I do have a suggestion for the pain. When I get glutened I take name brand liquid Pepto Bismal. It does not stop the D that follows for me a couple of days later but it relieves the stomach pain within minutes and generally with just one dose. Don't know if it would work that well for you but if you can take it you may want to try it or keep some on hand in case it happens again.

A huge thank you!! I will be sure to have some on hand if it ever happens again!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jonbo Apprentice

Before my dx, I was swigging Pepto (Target brand since I was buying it so much) and it kept my stomach/insides sane enough on the pain aspect. So it definitely can help if its more stomach pain that's the issue. Sadly, the money spent on Generic Pepto went right back to spending more being gluten-free but pain-free even with still slight-severe bloating is better.

With our bodies not having Gluten in it anymore, the sensitivity to it does rise quite a bit because you're not getting it constantly like before. I think also that is what is basically being tested as a vaccine is slowly re-introducing Gluten to the point that the body can tolerate it again. Makes sense when you think about it in the end. Restaurants I've noticed are hard to guarantee no CC but just have to hope for the best and that they are educated enough to try and avoid any CC.

Archived