foodiegurl

Pregnancy After Celiac Diagnosis

Rate this topic

For those of you who went at least a year being gluten-free and then had a pregnancy, how did it go? Did the celiac get worse? Better? How was the pregnancy?

I have a 4-year old, and with her I developed severe pre-eclampsia/HELLP and my daughter had IUGR, and I believe that is what triggered the celiac.

I have been gluten-free for 3 months now, and figured I would wait until a year before I decide to try again or not. I really want another, but am so terrified that I will get pre-e again, or that some other autoimmune issue will be triggered.

I had a miscarriage before I was diagnosed - but am at a successful 20 weeks in my first planned pregnancy (yaay!!).

We made sure before we started trying that I hadn't had any contamination for a few months to make sure my body was working at it's peak. Hubby was super-supportive, even eating totally gluten-free with me. Got preggers on the first try too!

So far there hasn't been one issue other than my iron/vitamin levels being a bit low. I would suggest that you stay very strictly on the diet and make sure that you don't take your iron supplement with your calcium one. (I do my iron at night with a vitamin C and all of my others in the morning.)

Other than that just stay as healthy as possible and good luck! I'll let you know how everything progresses.

I would suggest that you stay very strictly on the diet and make sure that you don't take your iron supplement with your calcium one. (I do my iron at night with a vitamin C and all of my others in the morning.)

Any particular reason to split them up?

Any particular reason to split them up?

Iron interferes with the absorption of calcium. Take them at least an hour, preferably at least two, apart.