agrnwd

Gluten Intolerance,celiac, Ibs Or Wheat Allergy?

Rate this topic

Hello everyone, I joined this forum in hope of getting some information and help. I had major surgery in 2005. I had been suffering from severe intestinal gas and bloating for several years prior, since winter 1991 when I had a terrible six week virus that just destoyed my health and energy and I have never really recovered from it. I was afraid to go out or date anyone, the gas was that severe. I just tried to live with it. My doc said to stop eating beans or get Beano; I did and it didn't help. I have always eaten really well, but too much bread and pasta, including cereal. I elimiated cereal and cut way down on bread and pasta three years ago, but the diarrhea and gas remained.

In April, I decided to do a detox. I was losing weight rapidly and this delighted me, because I began to accumulate a lot of weight following the 1991 virus. I ate only raw fruits and vegetables for a week. All the gastro symptoms disappeared. I mentioed this to my doc who said to eliminate wheat barley and rye for a couple of weeks then add them back one at a time. He said I was slightly anemic and sent me for a test having to do with my immune system. I don't have the results yet.

After elimiating all this, I ate about a tablespoon of couscous at a salad bar. I had never eaten it before and did not know it was a wheat product - I thought it was seeds. I had violent diarrhea a few hours later. Then last night, I ate an ice cream cone at the McDonald's drive through. Same thing. I had to stay in the bathroom for hours or wear an adult diaper it was that bad. I could not make it the few steps from the couch to the toilet.

I can't live on fruits and veg forever (or can I)?

I also suffered a severe depression in November and am very tired and lack motivation, probably from the anemia - but I eat red meat including liver and am no longer menstruating so I can't explain the anemia.

Now I am wondering if I am not absorbing nutrients from my diet. I drink fruit smoothies loaded up with greens every day to see if this will help and it has a bit.

I am wondering if this is a wheat allergy, celiac disease or some other thing such as gluten intolerance? I am fine if I eat rice or corn.

My doc didn't seem all that interested in helping me with this. I have complained about this for two years and he knows I cannot leave the house without protection under my clothing. He grudginlgy sent me for the test. I told him I do better on raw produce.

I am going to read though the messages, probably asking the same questions as I am now.

One more thing: I am taking 500mg of metformin, ratio-metformin (probably generic), and one of the symptoms is diarthea, but this is a very recent addition. Does anyone know if this version has gluten in it?

Thanks for 'listening'.

Hello everyone, I joined this forum in hope of getting some information and help. I had major surgery in 2005. I had been suffering from severe intestinal gas and bloating for several years prior, since winter 1991 when I had a terrible six week virus that just destoyed my health and energy and I have never really recovered from it. I was afraid to go out or date anyone, the gas was that severe. I just tried to live with it. My doc said to stop eating beans or get Beano; I did and it didn't help. I have always eaten really well, but too much bread and pasta, including cereal. I elimiated cereal and cut way down on bread and pasta three years ago, but the diarrhea and gas remained.

In April, I decided to do a detox. I was losing weight rapidly and this delighted me, because I began to accumulate a lot of weight following the 1991 virus. I ate only raw fruits and vegetables for a week. All the gastro symptoms disappeared. I mentioed this to my doc who said to eliminate wheat barley and rye for a couple of weeks then add them back one at a time. He said I was slightly anemic and sent me for a test having to do with my immune system. I don't have the results yet.

After elimiating all this, I ate about a tablespoon of couscous at a salad bar. I had never eaten it before and did not know it was a wheat product - I thought it was seeds. I had violent diarrhea a few hours later. Then last night, I ate an ice cream cone at the McDonald's drive through. Same thing. I had to stay in the bathroom for hours or wear an adult diaper it was that bad. I could not make it the few steps from the couch to the toilet.

I also suffered a severe depression in November and am very tired and lack motivation, probably from the anemia - but I eat red meat including liver and am no longer menstruating so I can't explain the anemia.

Now I am wondering if I am not absorbing nutrients from my diet. I drink fruit smoothies loaded up with greens every day to see if this will help and it has a bit.

I am wondering if this is a wheat allergy, celiac disease or some other thing such as gluten intolerance? I am fine if I eat rice or corn.

My doc didn't seem all that interested in helping me with this. I have complained about this for two years and he knows I cannot leave the house without protection under my clothing. He grudginlgy sent me for the test. I told him I do better on raw produce.

I am going to read though the messages, probably asking the same questions as I am now.

One more thing: I am taking 500mg of metformin, ratio-metformin (probably generic), and one of the symptoms is diarthea, but this is a very recent addition. Does anyone know if this version has gluten in it?

Thanks for 'listening'.

Hi

Well you should try a gluten free diet and see how you feel. You may be suprised by the result. Now Celiac diet (gluten free) does not mean veggies and fruits....there are many many things you can eat without the diet feeling of missing out on stuff....its not eliminating foods its replacing them with others.

about your meds. ask your pharmacist if there is any gluten in them they are usually very good with that.

maybe if you can get to a dietician it would be easier for you to understand all the term of gluten etc...

Your symptoms are very like celiac....ask your doc for a simple blood test...if he doesnt co operate

take it in your own hands and go gluten free for a few months...

good luck

It sounds to me like you did the blood test after having eaten gluten free for some time. That test will most likely be negative. You have to actively eating gluten for the testing to have a chance. So your options are to go back to eating gluten for 2-3 months and then be retested or just eat gluten-free and go from there without a medical diagnosis. There are plenty of us on this forum who are self-dx'ed and haven't had the testing. That's a decision for you alone to make.

At the point where you do go gluten-free permanantly, there is plenty to eat. You are not limited to fruits and vegetables. You may need to supplement while you are still anemic as it sounds like you are not absorbing all the nutrients you need. Remember most of the basic whole foods are gluten-free. You can eat meat, fruits, vegetables, beans and rice. Fresh dairy might be a no no for awhile while you heal. However I still eat aged cheeses and butter. Nuts are very good for you and you can have alternate grains. You can read about those in any good cookbook for celiac disease. Just start your diet out basic and once you have the hang of whole foods you prepare yourself then add new foods one at a time about once a week. That way if another food bothers you, you will know it right away. It's also a good idea to keep a food journal. It helps you pinpoint problem foods or restaurants and even though that sounds basic, it really is helpful.

Let us know what you decide and I wish you luck.

NO, you CANNOT! And your detox diet is no good either. Having just fruits and vegetables means you are having all fiber and zero protein. Protein is very very important for your health - and also partially why you lost so much weight. Protein feeds your muscles. If you completely stop eating it, your muscles start to break down and deteriorate and hence you lose "weight." The detox is also mostly water weight that you lose so regardless you do not lose quality pounds.

Try gluten-free for a while - be very careful, and get some protein on a REGULAR basis. You said you eat red meat, that is great, eat this in moderation and be sure to include a protein source at every meal (eat least lunch and dinner). Canned tuna, eggs (if you can handle eggs), skinless chicken breasts, pork, canned chicken (chicken salad sandwiches on gluten-free bread or wraps, or in lettuce leafs, perhaps?), salmon, grouper, tilapia, any kinds of fish, etc. Keep eating those veggies! And those fruit smoothies sound super yummy.

Remember if you do have Celiac, when you go gluten-free your intestines will be in a state of healing. So you may notice you are sensitive to some things, and also you may have bouts of diarrhea or cramping while you are starting the diet - as it takes your body plenty of time to adjust. Me, I've been completely gluten free for less than a month and since the second I gave it up, I was immensely better. I actually never had the continuing of symptoms, they just disappeared. (Unless I accidentally glutened myself - then it was not good! But it was once).

Keep us posted on how things go - I hope you find that gluten is indeed your problem so you may begin to heal yourself - your quality of life will SIGNIFICANLTY increase!

Tiffany :)

Oh, and also yogurt. Yogurt is good. I eat plain Greek yogurt - Fage is my favorite, but sometimes you will see me having a flavored one from Trader Joe's or Yo-Plus from Yoplait, clearly marked Gluten Free.