This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Enterolab Results-seems Mild -do I Still Avoid

mainemommy1

mainemommy1 Rookie

I did the Enterolab because my son's results came back positive including for the genes and I knew I had at least one of the genes going into the test. My numbers were not that much higher than the normal range but according to Enterolab's site, the actual number doesn't tell how severe other than you are having an immune reaction and shouldn't eat gluten-not even small amounts even though the numbers are not that high. My son's numbers were obviously out of range and very high . I know I am not celiac but I am guessing this means gluten sensitivity and I should avoid all gluten? symptoms include: hungry all the time, occasional digestion issues, very very tired, very low ferritin and vit d, headaches, trouble loosing weight -

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA: 14 Units

Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA: 11 Units

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score: Less than 300 Units

Fecal Anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA: 8 Units

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1: 0302

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2: 0202

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,2 (Subtype 8,2)

Interpretation of Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA (Normal Range is less than 10 Units): Intestinal antigliadin IgA antibody was elevated, indicating that you have active dietary gluten sensitivity. For optimal health, resolution of symptoms (if you have them), and prevention of small intestinal damage and malnutrition, osteoporosis, and damage to other tissues (like nerves, brain, joints, muscles, thyroid, pancreas, other glands, skin, liver, spleen, among others), it is recommended that you follow a strict and permanent gluten free diet. As gluten sensitivity is a genetic syndrome, you may want to have your relatives screened as well.

Interpretation of Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA (Normal Range is less than 10 Units): You have an autoimmune reaction to the human enzyme tissue transglutaminase, secondary to dietary gluten sensitivity.

Interpretation of Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score (Normal Range is less than 300 Units): Provided that dietary fat is being ingested, a fecal fat score less than 300 indicates there is no malabsorbed dietary fat in stool indicating that digestion and absorption of nutrients is currently normal.

Interpretation of Fecal Anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA (Normal Range is less than 10 Units): Levels of fecal IgA antibody to a food antigen greater than or equal to 10 are indicative of an immune reaction, and hence immunologic "sensitivity" to that food. For any elevated fecal antibody level, it is recommended to remove that food from your diet. Values less than 10 indicate there currently is minimal or no reaction to that food and hence, no direct evidence of food sensitivity to that specific food. However, because 1 in 500 people cannot make IgA at all, and rarely, some people can still have clinically significant reactions to a food antigen despite the lack of a significant antibody reaction (because the reactions primarily involve T cells), if you have an immune syndrome or symptoms associated with food sensitivity, it is recommended that you try a strict removal of suspect foods from your diet for up to 12 months despite a negative test.

Interpretation Of HLA-DQ Testing: HLA-DQB1 gene analysis reveals that you have one of the main genes that predisposes to gluten sensitivity and celiac sprue (HLA-DQB1*0201 or HLA-DQB1*0302). Each of your offspring has a 50% chance of receiving this gene from you, and at least one of your parents passed it to you. You also have a second gene that by itself can rarely be associated with celiac sprue (HLA-DQ2 other than by HLA-DQB1*0201), and when associated with one of the main celiac genes, strengthens the predisposition to getting the disease, and with more severe manifestations. Having one celiac gene and one gluten sensitive gene, means that each of your parents, and all of your children (if you have them) will possess at least one copy of a gluten sensitive gene. Having two copies also means there is an even stronger predisposition to gluten sensitivity than having one gene and the resultant immunologic gluten sensitivity or celiac sprue may be more severe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Both you and your son have a gluten sensitivity according to Enterolabs interpretation. The genes indicate that you MAY be at risk or predisposed to several autoimmune disorders, but not specifically to Celiac according to what I understand.

May people choose Enterolab as a piece of a puzzle to include serologic blood panel, endoscopy/biopsy exams and dietary results. Collective results, in some combination, can be diagnostic of Celiac Disease.

To answer your question, you should remain on a full gluten diet until you have exausted your testing options in order to achieve a diagnosis, if that is your direction.

If not, try the diet and see if your symtoms improve.

Here is a good article on genetic testing:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/21567/1/Ten...ting/Page1.html

Bonfils, Quest and Enterolab only test for the beta subunit portions and therefore their test can miss part of a minor alpha subunit that carries a risk of Celiac disease. A negative DQ2 and DQ8 report from these labs may not necessarily be truly negative for the risk of Celiac disease.

leadmeastray88 Contributor

My Enterolab results were much like yours - only slightly elevated above the normal range.

I asked Enterolab about this because I was concerned, and they told me you have to look at it as if it were a pregnancy test - you can't be a little bit pregnant, you either are or you aren't. So a positive result of any kind is still positive, no matter what the numbers are. All of our bodies are different from one another's so it's no wonder we all have different results.

You've already received great advice from Momma Goose. If you're still skeptical and if you want further testing you should definitely pursue it before starting the diet.

Let us know how everything goes. Good luck :)

mainemommy1 Rookie

Thanks everyone! I was wondering if everyone had mildly elevated test results and if they experienced success with the diet. Honestly, I am not interested in additional testing-I'll just follow the diet. I wanted to know more for any future children I may have and for when I breastfeed them in terms of genes. My son was a miserable baby-labeled colic- but at one year of age I put my foot down-colic does not last for a year. I was up every hour, all night, every night for a year with him-not normal but no one was concerned but me. The nutritionist/natural dr suggested a gluten free diet and I had a different child. So, I have my issues with mainstream drs as it is. We recently started giving him gluten in the past year and noticed changes but just could not link it to when he ate the gluten. We did the test mainly because he'll be going to preschool and we wanted concrete evidence that he really did need to be gluten free. The nutritionist is writing me a letter for his school file and that will be that. I don't see any need to make either of us undergo invasive testing -I don't love gluten that much! I was just confused by my results being just over the cut off. Honestly, it will be much easier and probably healthier to just go all gluten free for the family and possibly avoid the traumatic first year my son had if we have any additional children. Thanks so much for your responses and taking the time to reply. What a nice group of people to have stumbled across online. Thank you everyone!

Archived