Diva1

What Is The Difference

Rate this topic

Being celiac (I think) because my test results are negative....doing somewhat better on gluten free diet

does anyone know the difference between celiac versus microscopic colitis....

<_<

I have both Celiac and MC. Celiac Disease is an autoimmune situation where the ingestion of wheat, barley, and rye cause a reaction in the small intestine. Basically, the immune system launches an attack on the proteins of those grains, which damages the lining (villi) of the small intestine.

The treatment is a gluten-free diet for life.

In Microscopic Colitis, from what I understand according to my doctor, the problem is in the cells lining the lower intestine (colon). The collagen layer--beneath the lining of the colon, (which is only visible under a microscope) is inflamed.

There are several treatments for MC--your doctor will know which is best for your case. The goal is to cause remission, since it can flare up again.

My doctor mentioned that MC is often associated with Celiac.

I have both Celiac and MC. Celiac Disease is an autoimmune situation where the ingestion of wheat, barley, and rye cause a reaction in the small intestine. Basically, the immune system launches an attack on the proteins of those grains, which damages the lining (villi) of the small intestine.

The treatment is a gluten-free diet for life.

In Microscopic Colitis, from what I understand according to my doctor, the problem is in the cells lining the lower intestine (colon). The collagen layer--beneath the lining of the colon, (which is only visible under a microscope) is inflamed.

There are several treatments for MC--your doctor will know which is best for your case. The goal is to cause remission, since it can flare up again.

My doctor mentioned that MC is often associated with Celiac.

Thanks for the words....