jasonD2

Whole Foods Hot Bar & Prepared Foods

Rate this topic

Hello- I travel a lot and Whole Foods has been my salvation while on the road. I always go there since I get quality food and know exactly what all the ingredients are. Has anyone had negative experiences with their gluten-free hot bar/pre-cooked food? I assume all the stuff they cook that does not list wheat on the labels is gluten free. i know they are not a dedicated gluten-free operation, but Im pretty sure they are careful w/ all the food prep.

i know they are not a dedicated gluten-free operation, but Im pretty sure they are careful w/ all the food prep.

I'm pretty sure they are, Jason. Have had no trouble there. I asked our store why they didn't have a gluten free bakery as some of their other stores do, and she said "because of the risk of cross-contamination". So I would say they are aware.

I've eaten from their bar a couple of times, and I've never had issues there, either. I would say that as far as prepared foods goes, they are probably among the more conscientious.

Yup, I haven't had any problems there either. Occasionally, I'll pass on something that is gluten free, because it's next to something that isn't, and people have been a bit messy in spooning out the stuff that isn't gluten free. But that's about it.

I'm very sensitive and had good luck with some items so far. Yesterday the salmon in the case was between 2 pasta dishes and there was a tortellini on top of one piece so I thought, I'll pass. If there was only one pasta dish I might chose a piece that is located farthest from the pasta or other non-gluten-free dish. So I usually scope it out for potential CC and then decide. You can always pick up a frozen gluten-free meal and warm it up in the microwave too. Actually, they have hot water in a pot out for the tea drinkers so you could get an instant noodle bowl and add the hot water. It's located on a stand near the bakery and cold drink case in the store here.