Krystens mummy

Wheat Glucose Syrup Labled Gluten Free? Do U Eat It?

Rate this topic

Ok so here's the thing I have found that everywhere I read about celiac and the foods to avoid Wheat glucose syrup is considered safe. Products that I have come across have stated gluten free on front then I read the back and it says in the list of ingredients glucose syrup derived from wheat.

Is it safe to eat these products. I have not been formally diagnosed I went gluten free after losing 40 lbs really quickly and got better and started putting on weight when I got rid of gluten. Celiac in the family with 2 yr old daughter also displaying symptoms. Your thoughts please.

Sometimes a product which is derived from a gluten grain is so highly processed that no detectable gluten remains. Whether such a product is safe for a celiac to consume has been the subject of much debate. For most of us, this product would be fine, but some are extremely sensitive and may have a problem.

Microscopic quantities of gluten might be present, but it is unlikely that there is enough to make any difference, in my opinion. In Canada, this could not be labeled gluten-free--any gluten-grain (including oats) derived ingredient is prohibited in a food labeled gluten-free.

I see you are from Australia. Do you know what the parts per million limit is in Australia in order to be labeled gluten free? . . . Just trying to determine what the upper limit is.

I see you are from Australia. Do you know what the parts per million limit is in Australia in order to be labeled gluten free? . . . Just trying to determine what the upper limit is.

OK . . . I immediately went googling to answer my own question :P

Perhaps you already know this but I'll share with everyone:

From this site:

http://www.glutenfreepassport.com/refcente...n/labeling.html

Australia and New Zealand

According to The Coeliac Society of Australia,

I will not use it. They can only test to 5ppm, no lower. I react to the tiniest amount, and do not trust this, nor barley grass, nor wheat grass.