HelpinOhio

How Long Should You Try The Gluten Free Diet?

Rate this topic

Say you got the blood test for Celiac disease done 3 times, twice with added gluten for 2-5 weeks prior, and they all came back negative. Then you got the upper endoscopy after eating added gluten for 2 months (normal diet for 6 months), and it came back negative as well. But you still suspect Celiac Disease since you had a mystery illness for 7 years and you have a family member with it and a lot of the symptoms match up.

You still want to try the gluten free diet after all that.

How long should you stay on the gluten free diet before quitting (if you see no changes)?

I've been on the diet for about 7 weeks and I don't really notice any changes so I'm wondering how long I should wait before just going back on the normal diet, or how long it could take for me to see some changes (if it is Celiac Disease).

I'd stay on it for three months, then do a gluten challenge (something like three to five servings of wheat based items each day). Gluten challenge for three to five days, then gluten free again. See how things change. (And keeping a food diary may help.)

I'd definitely stay on it for the 3 months at least but I would also try either eliminating other common food allergens or do the allergen testing at enterolab. Milk (the protein casein) is a huge offender as is soy. Egg, yeast, corn, and other things are also common food allergens. If you are not getting better I'd try a food diary and an elimination diet.

I agree with the other posts.

I would give it at least 3 months or a little longer if you start to notice changes after eliminating other things.

The first couple of weeks are the worst. I felt sicker in the beginning (your body goes through withdrawls).....

You may have other things you are sensititve to or have problems with i.e. dairy, salads (in the beginning) certain veggies like corn etc. When you first go gluten free -- in the beginning first couple of months you can be sensitive to things that you normally aren't then can re-introduce them later on.

I would do a food journal like suggested above so if you are feeling good for a couple of days or show improvement then start to feel sick again you can try to see what you ate and what probably caused the problem.

Do you live in a household with others that eat gluten where maybe you are getting CC??

Hope you figure things out and feel better =)

I have only been completely gluten free for one whole week, though sometime in June I started the gluten free diet... and experience myself on and off eating gluten. I would suggest 3 months also.

( Need my thyroid check)

You might want to try throwing out dairy too. Often those two problems go hand-in-hand.