This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

College And An Active Life Style. Ah!

Endevor

Endevor Newbie

So, this is my first post and very well might turn into rant so bear with me.

I have been gluten free now for about 2 months. My little cousin was diagnosed with celiacs, and my aunt knew Ive had health problems for years and told me about celiacs and gluten intolerance. I'm 22 and have had my gallbladder out and a nissen surgery (they take the upper part of the stomach rap it around the esophagus and stitch it back to the stomach to fix acid reflux). When I had my gallblader out my symptoms got worse and the doctor had no idea what the problem was. All that being said I have dealt with full blown symptoms of celiacs for close to 6 or 7 years.

Now that I know what the problem is and how to prevent it my life has gotten hard because of my new diet. I'm a junior in college and am studying outdoor education. Being so new to the diet I'm kinda worried about what I am going to do for food...My classes this coming semester start at 8 or 9 am and go till 4 or 5 with a couple breaks, but I dont have time to run home. To go with this I climb, bike, or kayak almost every day and need to be able to eat more than a salad or some fruit/veg. I used to just grab a bite to eat on campus, but that really isn't an option anymore, and I cant eat a quick bar before I exercise so I'm kind of lost.

Having food as another stress for me is really hard and has made for some breakdowns. Does anyone have any ideas for food that I can take with me? And how do you handle an active life style and deal with celiacs?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dtgirl Rookie

Can you have nuts or nut butter? If you are not allergic, that works well.

Protein Powder (again, if you have no dairy issues)

Cottage cheese, shredded coconut, hard boiled eggs, veggies/hummus, avocado, banana/nut butter, make your own trail mix, cheese/berries, make your own protein bars, etc

It really depends on if you have other food "issues". I have many, I am in a lab from 9-5 most days of the week or am doing clinicals, it gets very interesting eating meat only snacks.

ilikechaitea04 Newbie

Hey there! there are some great protein bars that could tie you over or doing like a protein shake for breakfast. I work at our local health food gluten free store and know of TONS of great tasting bars that are definately worth a try.

If you have a COSTCO near you I know they sell LARABAR that comes in all kinds of great tasting flavors like cherry, apple, and pecan pie. Also they sell, TRIO nut bars or MRS. MAYS nut clusters are a good choice as well. Jewel Osco sells them as well in the "living harvest" section

Also at TRADER JOES sells Organic RAW FOOD BARS that are also very good and high in protein.

Also direct from the company Biogensis makes protein bars that are very tasty and CLIF BAR makes a bar called "Builder Bars" that come in a variety of flavors and have 20 grams of whey protein in them.

Those are just some options- I know of many more. If you need more ideas just let me know!

Also I agree with the previous post, nut butters with rice cakes or gluten-free bread are also good take a long foods (but they may get kind of old pretty fast). Hummus and tortilla chips is also a good option.

Melissa

ang1e0251 Contributor

I always travel with food now, just in case. Some stuff I like are:

Lara bars

cheese cubes or sticks

nuts

peanut butter and apples

meat chunks

pineapple chunks

yogurt

dry gluten-free cereal

chocolate

Snickers

Thai pad for the microwave, if you can get to one

corn tortillas wrpped w/sandwich stuff

Hormel Naturals lunchmeats

es2443 Contributor

I would suggest getting brown rice tortillas and putting whatever kind of gluten-free meat you like in it. It is easy to pack and the brown rice tortillas don't fall apart as much as the corn ones. I've had the Food for Life ones and the Trader Joes brand ones and they are both tasty.

hannahp57 Contributor

there are some gluten free brands of beef jerky out there...

also dried fruits mixed with nuts and homemade granola would be good. enjo life and bakery on main both have gluten-free granola. bakery on main is AMAZING! i absolutely love that stuff..i would eat it before desert any day haha. also i believe nature valley makes granola bars that do not contain wheat or oats. i think almond and peanut crunch. make gluten free crackers and you can have a lunchable type box to take with you. (if you dont have the time or desire to make crackers, i highly recommend glutino and schar brands for lunchable type crackers...yum). and kinnikinnick have pretty decent graham crackers.

Its doable. you just have to put a little more thought into it than your peers, which isnt necessarily fair, but hey at least you FEEL better :D

RideAllWays Enthusiast

I'm moving into my new dorm Sept 3rd and I'm so excited about everything except eating. I make most of my food for myself at home anyways, so it wont be much of a change. Hopefully my roommates will be considerate...

I always carry food around. Everywhere. Celery/Carrot sticks, cucumber slices, fruit, rice cakes with peanut butter, nuts..

What I do for meals in prep ahead of time. I go to costco and buy frozen salmon and chicken breasts. If you have access to a kitchen facility in your dorm, cook three of four chicken breasts for the week, and keep them in a fridge. Then you have them available for wraps, stir-fries, etc. If you are allowed a blender, smoothies are great for energy and you can take them on the go. I think the biggest issue for students is cross-contamination, so you have to make sure the people around you understand.

Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Endevor Newbie

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Ive come to the conclusion that I have been an idiot for not making my own granola bars. I have been making my own for years, but for some reason it didnt even enter my mind to make gluten free ones. I think that I have to give up the idea of eating a lunch and go towards the snack concept to hold me over. Or maybe do a gazpacho in a zip-lock bag.

Archived