Senoja1

When Will The Symptoms Go Away?

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a couple of weeks ago and have been (hopefully) completely gluten free for almost 2 weeks. However, my gastrointestinal symptoms don't seem to improving at all yet. Is this normal? I'm worried that something else is wrong as well, such as a food allergy or IBS or something...?

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a couple of weeks ago and have been (hopefully) completely gluten free for almost 2 weeks. However, my gastrointestinal symptoms don't seem to improving at all yet. Is this normal? I'm worried that something else is wrong as well, such as a food allergy or IBS or something...?

It depends. My most dramatic symptom, nausea, went away very quickly. It took much longer for other symptoms to fade. I am 15-months post diagnosis and can honestly say I didn't feel completely normal until about a year out. Don't let that get you down, just know it takes a long time for your gut to heal and for your body to get back on track. Make sure to get your Vit D levels checked as well. I have no other issues (food allergeis, IBS) but was still having joint pain and fatigue. Turned out my Vit D levels were very low. I can now say I feel 100% after taking prescription Vit D for two months.

It does take awhile. It also take awhile to get really gluten free. Double check what you are eating and drinking.