This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Endoscopy Tomorrow!

Seamuskitty

Seamuskitty Rookie

Hi everyone!

Just an update to say I went to a "good" gastroenterologist today and was scheduled for an endoscopy asap.

This doctor had actually participated in a Celiac Disease research project previously ---he told me a little about it but I don't know the details other than it was about finding some kind of medication that would block gliadin from going through the intestine walls and setting off an autoimmune reaction.

Anyway--I am a little nervous about the endoscopy but because it was scheduled so quickly I don't have time to get really nervous...I just have to got to sleep tonight and get up and go....

I felt such relief at finding this doctor and I know that he will perform the biopsy properly and interpret the results appropriately. I could be so much more nervous right now if I had just gone the the doctor I saw previously who didn't have a clue...

I have been eating gluten & feeling horrible for several weeks. Thursday night I ate a plate of pasta and felt like I was poisoned all day Friday then got a midnight attack of extremely painful cramps and running to the bathroom. It was dreadful....I have kept some gluten in my body every day for weeks and after today--there will be NO MORE and I will begin to feel better permanently.. YAY!

I'll update after the endoscopy!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LeAnne8790 Newbie

Good luck! I saw my "good" GI doc today and he scheduled an endoscopy as well. I was wondering why no blood test, but since I understand the endoscopy is the gold standard, maybe he was just cutting to the chase. I have to wait nearly two weeks though! I really feel so bad that I wish it could be sooner.

I hope you get some good answers from this.

K-Dawg Explorer
Hi everyone!

Just an update to say I went to a "good" gastroenterologist today and was scheduled for an endoscopy asap.

Anyway--I am a little nervous about the endoscopy but because it was scheduled so quickly I don't have time to get really nervous...I just have to got to sleep tonight and get up and go....

I'll update after the endoscopy!

Hey there:

I was nervous about my endoscopy (had it in April) and I just wanted to tell you that it was such a breeze. Like taking a walk in the park, honestly.

Look forward to the update!

Seamuskitty Rookie

Thank you for the encouragement!

It wasn't too bad at all! The worst part was the time spent waiting in the room just before the procedure...I was just anxious to get it over with. And my stomach etc was a bit of a mess as it always is in the morning.

It will take a week or two to get the results. The only thing that I found out was that the doctor saw stomach irritation...no details though.

I am very happy to have avoided all gluten today. I know that starting tomorrow I will begin to heal and I will feel better and better as time goes on.

As far as deciding to go ahead with the biopsy--I am glad I did it despite how sick I was for several weeks.

One thing the doctor said is that with the biopsy he can see if cancer has developed. I hadn't considered that as a possibility...and that would certainly be a good thing to know.

I feel fine now--just a bit goofy. I am sure I will be feeling great in them morning!

Julie

• 3 weeks later...
Seamuskitty Rookie

Hi everyone! I finally got my biopsy results back today--by letter. I see the Doctor next week.

The Doctor wrote this:

"As you know I looked in your esophagus and stomach recently. I took biopsies of the small intestine to look for evidence of celiac sprue. The biopsies did show some blunting of the villi; this is consistent with celiac sprue. Based on this, I would recommend that we keep you on a gluten-free diet."

So it is official--after eating a "normal" diet for 48 years, I have discovered that I have Celiac Disease! I feel relieved to know what has been wrong with me my whole life....! But understandably angry that my life could have been different if I had known a little sooner... :rolleyes:

Its about freaking time, right? :P

I have been eating gluten-free since the biopsy and do feel better but have still had pain and digestive problems. I figure I did some damage during the "gluten challenge" phase and it will take a while to heal..Even though it was very difficult to eat gluten for several weeks, I am glad that I did the biopsy because there is no doubt about this any more.

Soooo. Hi, my name is Julie and I am a Celiac. :D

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hi everyone! I finally got my biopsy results back today--by letter. I see the Doctor next week.

The Doctor wrote this:

So it is official--after eating a "normal" diet for 48 years, I have discovered that I have Celiac Disease! I feel relieved to know what has been wrong with me my whole life....! But understandably angry that my life could have been different if I had known a little sooner... :rolleyes:

Its about freaking time, right? :P

I have been eating gluten-free since the biopsy and do feel better but have still had pain and digestive problems. I figure I did some damage during the "gluten challenge" phase and it will take a while to heal..Even though it was very difficult to eat gluten for several weeks, I am glad that I did the biopsy because there is no doubt about this any more.

Soooo. Hi, my name is Julie and I am a Celiac. :D

Welcome to the family. :) I am glad things are conclusive for you and many here, including myself, fully understand your anger. I hope you heal quickly.

Seamuskitty Rookie
Welcome to the family. :) I am glad things are conclusive for you and many here, including myself, fully understand your anger. I hope you heal quickly.

Thanks ravenwoodglass. I appreciate the welcome and the understanding. I truely thing that the only thing I have been feeling for so long is SICK. I don't think I've had any true emotions for a very long time.

Tonight I actually feel grief about something I should have reacted to months ago. I have a funny feeling that as I heal physically, many of the normal experiences of human life are going to come back to me...both good and bad. :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived