callmespanky

Bartender?

Rate this topic

Hey all,

Im a bartender and spend at least 40 hours a week pouring beer over my hands.If your skin is the biggest digestive organ in your body am i doing myself harm? I have noticed that after a few really busy days at work or if i have a few cuts and scratches on my hands I go through quite a strong period of gluten related crappyness.I know that gluten has to be ingested to work its magic but surely pouring something like beer all over your hands which your very severely allergic to cant be good for you either.So if anyone has anything useful on this topic,Id love to hear your thoughts

Well, celiac isn't an allergy, so you wouldn't be having an allergic reaction. Also, the skin is the biggest organ, but it isn't a digestive organ. For things to penetrate the skin and get into the bloodstream, they have to be particularly tiny (gluten is not) and/or be attached to some agent that essentially pushes them through the skin, like DMSO. Is it possible that you're not getting all the beer off your hands before you put them in your mouth or touch food?

Can you wear gloves at work when you have a cut or an open sore on your hands? While it is thought that the intact skin is a barrier to gluten by many it can enter your bloodstream through break in your skin or through a mucous membrane. In addition whenever you are working with stuff that others are consuming if you have a cut or sore it should be covered for their safety as well as your own.

I would say that you're getting the gluten in your mouth somehow if you're still reacting. I work a breakfast buffet, and get gluten all over my hands regularly. I am extremely careul, and do not get glutened from my job. I actually had to stop wearing a ring that I wore because the crumbs got stuck underneath and made my skin react, so I apprently have an allergy on top of my intolerance. But any gastrointestinal or other internal gluten reaction cannot come from getting it on your skin, it has to be going in your mouth somehow.