sunlightsonata

Horrible Digestive Symptoms - Celiac Disease? Doctors Dismiss It!

Rate this topic

Hello!

I am 24yr/female. :lol: I experience diarrhea about 4x/week... and lately, it's all been GREEN! Yuck.

I burp a lot, my stomach is always gurgling... and I have SEVERE abdominal pains. I think it's just gas issues. I get nauseous all the time, and vomit occasionally. Coffee and generally caffeine are big no-no's for me. I get sick literally like 5 minutes after a sip.

It seems it's some sorta GI problem. I'm trying to narrow it down from Crohn's, Celiac, or IBS...

Oh it's super embarrassing! And my doctor seems to think I "need to get a hobby" to take my "mind off being worried".

ARGH! Any help is appreciated. :)

Are you being tested for celiacs?

No, doctor doesn't want to test... he wants to start me on some sorta medication for GERD, and see what happens. I was tested for autoimmune though, and my ANA came back elevated slightly... but that's it!

Hello!

I am 24yr/female. :lol: I experience diarrhea about 4x/week... and lately, it's all been GREEN! Yuck.

I burp a lot, my stomach is always gurgling... and I have SEVERE abdominal pains. I think it's just gas issues. I get nauseous all the time, and vomit occasionally. Coffee and generally caffeine are big no-no's for me. I get sick literally like 5 minutes after a sip.

It seems it's some sorta GI problem. I'm trying to narrow it down from Crohn's, Celiac, or IBS...

Oh it's super embarrassing! And my doctor seems to think I "need to get a hobby" to take my "mind off being worried".

ARGH! Any help is appreciated. :)

Why not try going gluten free for a week or two and see if anything changes? Regardless, get a different doctor. The correct response to "get a hobby" is "get a different career."

The poop on green poop from the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stool-color/an00772

It just means you have diarrhea, which you knew already.

Good luck, and welcome to the board.

You should really read up on the elimination diet. Your health problems could be due to a combination of a lot of intolerances happening all at once. If that is the case as it has been for many of us just eliminating gluten will not seem to fix the problem.

You may have to eliminate

■Milk

■Eggs

■Peanuts

■Tree nuts (such as almonds, cashews, walnuts)

■Fish (such as bass, cod, flounder)

■Shellfish (such as crab, lobster, shrimp)

■Soy

■Wheat

these are "the big eight" allergens. I'm allergic to three of them.

You just have to find your "safe foods" and then test other foods one at a time until you have found the ones that are causing your reactions. And don't overlook spices. Celery seed is a very common allergen.

My safe foods are chicken breast, rice, and green foods (lettuce,broc, peas, green beans).

Hope this helps

I agree it is time for a new Doctor.

One that will test for a disease that you believe you might have.

i have learned through years of Dr visits not to stay with a doc that doesn't listen to their patients or that dismisses your concerns.

I found out that I had celiac disease through an elimination diet like OptimisticMom is talking about.

Good luck.

erin

Thank you eringopaint, optimisticmom42, and the fluffy assassin!

You may have to eliminate

■Milk

■Eggs

■Peanuts

■Tree nuts (such as almonds, cashews, walnuts)

■Fish (such as bass, cod, flounder)

■Shellfish (such as crab, lobster, shrimp)

■Soy

■Wheat

So... haha, basically I have to eliminate everything I am eating. :lol: Perhaps this IS the issue. Do any of you experience persistent nausea? Or at least, did you before you changed your diet and were diagnosed? I absolutely hate it. I've been avoiding most foods these days, and drinking water and more water. I'm hungry, but I don't wanna feel nauseous!!

I always thought I ate healthy, because my diet consists of nothing but a gamut of fruits/veggies, fish, some poultry, nuts, and tons of soy. I love the stuff... soy milk, soy energy bars, soy "meat".

Quick question... are gummy bears toxic to Celiacs?? I just ate a handful about an hour ago, and feel as though I am going to retch.

Thanks all!

Urgh, I should specify... I had this candy called WineGums and then some sorta chocolate covered cinnamon gummy bear thing (which I wouldn't recommend anyway, ha).

I should live by that rule to not accept candy! Though it was from a friend, not stranger. :)