This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Am I Glutening Myself?

Karrin

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Tressemme does contain gluten, it's best you stop using it. I use Softsoap too, it's great. I can use Garnier Shampoo and Conditioner, yet my favorite is Pantene. St Ives has many lotions with wheat in them.

It is very difficult to read ingredients in these type of products.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

Optimistic Mom -- I just happened to catch your signature and noticed your food exclusions due to a mold allergy and I feel a bit silly! I was DX with Celiac earlier this month but DX with a mold allergy as a child. I have continued to use gluten-free vinegar and smoked meats (when I'm sure they're gluten-free) but I never realized that reactions might also be due to mold!

Those signatures sure are handy :) I happen to be seeing my gastroenterologist this afternoon and will ask him about that and also for a referral to a dietitian or nutritionist.

Cheers

I've had gluten like tummy troubles after using Lawry's on chicken breast and from an off brand chili powder we used to make taco seasoning. No trouble so far with McCormick's spices or The Vegetarian Express spices.

I also have my own PB and my own jelly. The Family likes grape. Blahhh, I like marmalade.

Jana315 Apprentice

Karrin, If you do have an intolerance to nightshades, that would cut Lawry's and anything with paprika out of your diet...sad for me too! I react to the paprika that's in Lawry's & most pre-packaged gluten-free sausages & hotdogs. Just add it to the list - don't know about you, but my list is getting really long. I'm looking into the GAPS diet, but just don't know if I can go there yet though in the long run, it is probably the right thing to do.

Jana

GlutenGuy36 Contributor
Karrin, If you do have an intolerance to nightshades, that would cut Lawry's and anything with paprika out of your diet...sad for me too! I react to the paprika that's in Lawry's & most pre-packaged gluten-free sausages & hotdogs. Just add it to the list - don't know about you, but my list is getting really long. I'm looking into the GAPS diet, but just don't know if I can go there yet though in the long run, it is probably the right thing to do.

Jana

I agree, I seem to have a problem with nightshades too. I feel horrible after eating some hot dogs that I know are gluten free. It's amazing how your body can turn on you. I use to be able to eat anything and never had an issue. Then after being diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I feel bad when I eat anything with milk ( casein), soy and nightshades. I'm looking into corn. It's been a long tough road though.

babysteps Contributor

Jana

For paprika substitute, you can try the spice form of sumac - used in Turkey, especially for kabobs. Not at every grocery store, but I know that Penzeys carries it and I bet a lot of natural food stores do, too.

Jana315 Apprentice
For paprika substitute, you can try the spice form of sumac - used in Turkey, especially for kabobs. Not at every grocery store, but I know that Penzeys carries it and I bet a lot of natural food stores do, too.

Babysteps - don't mean to hijack - but I was just exhausting myself looking for red/pink peppercorns that aren't in a mix...can't find any, so maybe powdered sumac will be easier to come by! YEA!!! I love Turkish foods, esp. the kebabs! thanks for the tip.

Karrin Rookie

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I might eventually look into some of them, but right now I find the nightshade family remote as being the culprit. I've had maybe one tomato the whole month of June and one hot dog - and its been awhile. My spices have been basic (salt & pepper - if any) and I've not had any eggplants etc. Right now nothing and everything seems at fault - that is, I have not had a single day of solid relief since the beginning. The changes I experience are so subtle that I'm forced to write most off as my old fluctuations (with exception of a few clear incidents - corn and my shampoo/lotion for one) - that is, the relief and bad days are quite in time with how I felt throughout a month pre-diagnosis. I've followed suggestions here from pots and pans to my own sugar/spices, eating simply, vitamins, cutting out certain items such as soy etc. The whole process is incredibly frustrating and I just can't pinpoint anything!! I just have to conclude for now that my body is healing and hopefully things will clear up. I've tried going back to that same diet of that first week to no effect. I'm really at a loss, but I'm holding out hope that time will help and right now my intestines are just upset with everything that goes in. I'm also exploring other autoimmune problems with my doctor, which might explain my still feeling so yucky - RA is at the top of the list, and my joints have been really swollen and achy this past 2 weeks - so much that I have a hard time standing up.

I sometimes also wonder if my monthly cycle has anything to do with how I'm feeling. I have endometriosis and my only relief from that is about 6 days after my period ends and a week before I ovulate.

At least my head fog is mostly gone and most my lower back pain. It's moved into my hands, wrists, pelvis and knees though! UGH! I'm terrified I'll wind up with twisted, unusable hands and legs.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Korwyn Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I might eventually look into some of them, but right now I find the nightshade family remote as being the culprit. I've had maybe one tomato the whole month of June and one hot dog - and its been awhile. My spices have been basic (salt & pepper - if any) and I've not had any eggplants etc. Right now nothing and everything seems at fault - that is, I have not had a single day of solid relief since the beginning. The changes I experience are so subtle that I'm forced to write most off as my old fluctuations (with exception of a few clear incidents - corn and my shampoo/lotion for one) - that is, the relief and bad days are quite in time with how I felt throughout a month pre-diagnosis. I've followed suggestions here from pots and pans to my own sugar/spices, eating simply, vitamins, cutting out certain items such as soy etc. The whole process is incredibly frustrating and I just can't pinpoint anything!! I just have to conclude for now that my body is healing and hopefully things will clear up. I've tried going back to that same diet of that first week to no effect. I'm really at a loss, but I'm holding out hope that time will help and right now my intestines are just upset with everything that goes in. I'm also exploring other autoimmune problems with my doctor, which might explain my still feeling so yucky - RA is at the top of the list, and my joints have been really swollen and achy this past 2 weeks - so much that I have a hard time standing up.

I sometimes also wonder if my monthly cycle has anything to do with how I'm feeling. I have endometriosis and my only relief from that is about 6 days after my period ends and a week before I ovulate.

At least my head fog is mostly gone and most my lower back pain. It's moved into my hands, wrists, pelvis and knees though! UGH! I'm terrified I'll wind up with twisted, unusable hands and legs.

Karrin, take a look at the GAPS diet. Open Original Shared Link It sounds like you might be a candidate for it. I'm in just preparing to start it next week.

Karrin Rookie
Karrin, take a look at the GAPS diet. Open Original Shared Link It sounds like you might be a candidate for it. I'm in just preparing to start it next week.

I took a look and I actually eat very similar to the guidelines they have posted! :) Lots of fresh fruit for snacks and veggies and fresh meat like chicken for meals, natural decaff teas (I have a sensitivity to caffeine). It's a rare thing that I eat processed foods, especially after being diagnosed. I did have a little breakdown a week or two back and I got some gluten free chocolate donuts (also dairy and soy free, I believe they were made with tapioca flour?). They were from a dedicated gluten free company and I had no tummy issues with them thankfully - I really needed a bakery fix!

I'm hoping my continuing symptoms are just my body healing yet and will cool off within another month or two so I can actually tell if and what might be making me ill. So far the only noticeable items was an accidental glutening, roughly a month back now, and corn, which gives me instant tummy issues.

Korwyn Explorer
I took a look and I actually eat very similar to the guidelines they have posted! :) Lots of fresh fruit for snacks and veggies and fresh meat like chicken for meals, natural decaff teas (I have a sensitivity to caffeine). It's a rare thing that I eat processed foods, especially after being diagnosed. I did have a little breakdown a week or two back and I got some gluten free chocolate donuts (also dairy and soy free, I believe they were made with tapioca flour?). They were from a dedicated gluten free company and I had no tummy issues with them thankfully - I really needed a bakery fix!

I'm hoping my continuing symptoms are just my body healing yet and will cool off within another month or two so I can actually tell if and what might be making me ill. So far the only noticeable items was an accidental glutening, roughly a month back now, and corn, which gives me instant tummy issues.

Oh good! Are you taking a good pro biotic? PB-8 Vegetarian is a good one and is reasonable priced if you get it on line.

Lisa79 Enthusiast

I had the same problem, I found I was intolerant to lots of foods, nightshades, dairy (mainly milk) cheeses and yoghurts seemed ok, soy.

I think I have posted a very similar post a couple of times.

I do see a great naturopath and its been 4 months now and I am feeling better, not 100 but definately on the road to recovery.

I am finding the other intolerances are settling down now, you can have such an inflamed gut for quite a while.

Try giving up some other foods for a while, apparently it takes at least 4 months for some cells to renew (my naturopath says) so give it time.

Keep doing what your doing, sounds like your been careful, just continue to check everything and avoid contamination, check all medications and you will see improvement eventually, everyone is so different.

Archived