Dawner

Good Friend W/celiac Disease Visiting

Rate this topic

Hi.

A friend of mine has had Celiac Disease for years.

Sunday, she's coming to visit me at my place for the first time (I'm excited!). :D

What do I need to be aware of as a good hostess?

It's finally hot up here in MN and I'm thinking about offering the following things:

Lemonade?

Ice Cream

Those frozen icees

Popcorn (if we watch a movie)

Chips??

Salsa

If we eat, we'll probably go out.

I'm thinking munchies, as you can tell.

I know she'd tell me what she couldn't eat, but I'd rather be a good hostess and not offer the bad stuff.

Thanks for your advice regarding this.

Dawn

You are so sweet to want to be such a thoughtful hostess! You need to find out, first, if gluten is her only issus. Many Celiacs have multiple foods that bother them. If she's like me, she doesn't want you making a fuss over her but feels obligated to eat things served because they don't want to hurt feelings. Sticking to good, whole foods is always safe. Stay away from processed things. If you DO go shopping...read the ingredients to everything you buy. Look for anything wheat related or any disclaimer after the ingredients that says something to the effect of "Manufactured in a facility that also produces........" and includes wheat, barley, rye, etc.

how about a mixed fruit tray.. you could buy some almond bark to dip strawberries in. pure heaven and easily made gluten free

also you can do a cheese tray... if you can find a health food store Schar and Glutino have good crackers that you probably wouldnt even ind eating with her. no weird taste or anything. and how awesome would it be, in my opinion, to have a friend eat a gluten-free snack WITH me. most people wont because they prefer to eat what they're used to or they dont want to eat my stuff because it costs more. but hey how often do you girsl see each other?! one day, one box of crackers, i think that would be do-able :D

you are a really good friend for even going this extra step. i hope you enjoy your visit together

Wow! What a great friend you are! I have a great recipe for pancakes that uses only cornstarch.. no expensive hard-to-find flours. That would be a real treat! Let me know if you want it, and I'll do a quick post! Good Luck!

Lemonade?

Ice Cream

Those frozen icees

Popcorn (if we watch a movie)

Chips??

Salsa

Lemonade - Country Time, Chrystal Light

Ice Cream - Most of Edy's (read label)

Ices?

Popcorn - Newman's Own Micro Butter, Light, Natural Tender White and White Cheddar

Chips - Chi-Chi's - All

Salsa - Pace - All Picante Sauce, Newman's Own - Most (read label)

There are other brand named products that are gluten free. These are generally available.

Enjoy

It's so nice that you are acommodating your friend. I advice you to keep all the packaging of products you serve her. I won't eat anything unless I read the packaging myself. Also you could contact your local restaurants ahead of the visit to see which can offer her safe food when you eat out. Nice going!

Wow! What a great friend you are! I have a great recipe for pancakes that uses only cornstarch.. no expensive hard-to-find flours. That would be a real treat! Let me know if you want it, and I'll do a quick post! Good Luck!

Hi beedamom, I would love to have that recipe for my son. Thank you RA

Hummus

Tapenade

Veggie tray with a nice gluten-free dip

Fruit, cut up

Many chips are fine, especially unflavored

Cheese and Mary's Gone or Nuthins crackers

We're finally getting some sunshine in Maine after a month of solid rain...yay!

You're a peach!!

Margaret

I'm not the OP, but I would love this recipe!