This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Choosing A Doctor

njbeachbum

njbeachbum Explorer

Hey Guys,

I figured it was a good idea to get some thoughts from you all on this topic. So I was diagnosed as Celiac by a new gastroenterologist (new for me) back in December 2007. After having my follow up in the fall of 2008, all was well with bloodwork, etc. As of January 2009, my health insurance at work changed from Aetna to United Healthcare, and my gastro doctor does not accept United. So I wanted to know if most of you use a primary care doc AND a gastro for monitoring your celiac disease condition. I would ideally like to have just one primary care doctor, that is young and current and can can also monitor my progress with celiac disease. in the event that my primary would recommend an upper GI endoscopy, then i could seek out a gastro doctor, but I see no need for juggling both doctors for routine care.

What are some of your thoughts on this, and what are some of you doing?

Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LDJofDenver Apprentice

Guess it all depends on your healthcare system and on the doctor you find.

My primary care doc knows about celiac disease, but not much. My GI doc knows A LOT about it and is very on top of my follow up care and testing, etc.

Whereas my primary doc, I don't believe, really thought there is supposed to be any follow up care. More of, "we have a diagnosis, you have celiac disease, now omit gluten from your diet" end of story. He's a good doc, and listens, explains, cares - just not that much awareness of celiac disease, it seems, in general practice and internal medicine -- at least, not within my healthcare network.

For me, I love the security I have knowing my GI doc is in the picture. She's ordered tests and follow up over the 8-10 months post-diagnosis, that I just think never crossed my primary doc's mind.

If you find a good, on-top-of-it (the whole celiac spectrum) primary care doc, that would be great. For me, that role had to be taken up by the GI doc.

mushroom Proficient
Hey Guys,

I figured it was a good idea to get some thoughts from you all on this topic. So I was diagnosed as Celiac by a new gastroenterologist (new for me) back in December 2007. After having my follow up in the fall of 2008, all was well with bloodwork, etc. As of January 2009, my health insurance at work changed from Aetna to United Healthcare, and my gastro doctor does not accept United. So I wanted to know if most of you use a primary care doc AND a gastro for monitoring your celiac disease condition. I would ideally like to have just one primary care doctor, that is young and current and can can also monitor my progress with celiac disease. in the event that my primary would recommend an upper GI endoscopy, then i could seek out a gastro doctor, but I see no need for juggling both doctors for routine care.

What are some of your thoughts on this, and what are some of you doing?

Thanks!!

I had the luck last year to find a young female PCP who accepts my insurance, who is attached to a large, respected regional health center with its own hospital, etc., including its own hotel for patients who fly in for surgery (well, this is Nevada and you have to go to Reno or Vegas) l don't know how long she has been practising, but she is young enough to still be enthusiastic about what she's doing, she is very proactive and knowledgeable and has agreed to everything I have requested, as well as coming up with ideas of her own. She initiates referrals and testing, was going to give me the herpes vaccination but checked and found out I should not have it because I am on Humira, etc. etc. I am happy to let her handle my care because I know she will refer me when necessary or appropriate and I am impressed with her knowledge.

I am self-diagnosed, have never seen a gastro, and don't particularly feel the need for a special doctor to do follow-up, so my feelings and experience are totally different to yours.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I don't have a GI. Never have seen one. Totally IMHO, but I think that if you've got a pretty uncomplicated case of celiac (not a lot of concomitant issues), I don't think a GI is necessary. Of course, you'd still want a GP who is aware of celiac, and willing to work with you when you suspect something is up. But I'm a *very* involved - if not the leading factor - in my health care, and that may change things. (Not all doctors like this... ;) )

cmom Contributor

I have a separate dr and GI. My dr treated me for over 6 yrs and could not find my problem. It took the GI 2 visits and I had a diagnosis. :huh:

njbeachbum Explorer

thanks guys! i figured it was going to be a personal decision and really based on the experience and strenth of the primary care physician that i choose.

i'll let you know how it goes!

Archived