kprince

4 Month Old- When Do I Introduce Gluten?

Rate this topic

Hi Everyone-

I was diagnosed with celiacs when I got pregnant with my now 4 month old daughter. I have heard different ideas regarding when to introduce gluten and I just want to get your thougts on what the latest ideas are. I am exclusively breast feeding at this time and I have no idea if I should wait and when I introduce food, what should be first. Thanks in advance for your advice-

We waited until our son was 7-8 months old. We only fed him rice cereal, fruits and veggies in the 1st few months. Our peds GI told us to do this and watch him for any kind of celiac related reaction once the gluten was introduced. I also exclusively breast fed, but I wasn't gluten-free. He didn't really have any gi issues until he was 2 1/2, he tested negative, biopsy was negative, but his dr just diagnosed him from his significantly positive dietary response.

My oldest started eating cereal as an infant. He was always a big eater but was not a chubby baby. Gave up his bottle and started walking at 8 or 9 months.

My second son refused to eat anything but formula until he was 13 months old and was chubby. He didn't like the texture of the food on his hands or in his mouth. Didn't walk until he was 14 months.

Both boys are now tall, normal weight, intelligent, teenagers. But the oldest has celiacs with neurologic responces to gluten. The younger son (364 days younger) gets awards and job offers all the time. The older son got his first job today, working construction for his dad's best friend. He's had it tough. If I had it to do over I would wait as long as reasonably possible.

Virtually all advice I've seen or heard says to start gluten at the "regular" time. Avoiding gluten isn't necessary. Watching for symptoms as he grows is necessary. Neither one of my children has celiac.

richard

Virtually all advice I've seen or heard says to start gluten at the "regular" time. Avoiding gluten isn't necessary. Watching for symptoms as he grows is necessary. Neither one of my children has celiac.

richard

This is what I was told as well.

As for starting solids of any kind, the WHO recommends nothing by breastmilk or formula prior to 6 months then start with low-allergen foods like rice cereal, banana, pear etc.

Regarding gluten, I recently spoke with Dr Catassi who is undergoing a clinical trial together with Dr Fassano and the trial starts gluten at 6 months with some infants and not until 12 months with the other group. Dr Catassi recommended that we start at 6 months (small amounts and keeping an eye on anything that could be a symptom of intolerance). I freaked out at the thought of doing it (considering that, celiac aside, a wheat allergy would be horrible) and have decided to wait until at least 12 months.

The pediatricians here in Italy start infants on gluten at 8/9 months. I recently spoke with a friend who's DD was diagnosed at 2 years old. I asked her when she introduced gluten and she said 8 months. Having said same, I figure that later is better than sooner.

As for starting solids of any kind, the WHO recommends nothing but breastmilk or formula prior to 6 months then start with low-allergen foods like rice cereal, banana, pear etc.

Regarding gluten, I recently spoke with Dr Catassi who is undergoing a clinical trial together with Dr Fassano and the trial starts gluten at 6 months with some infants and not until 12 months with the other group. Dr Catassi recommended that we start at 6 months (small amounts and keeping an eye on anything that could be a symptom of intolerance). I freaked out at the thought of doing it (considering that, celiac aside, a wheat allergy would be horrible) and have decided to wait until at least 12 months.

The pediatricians here in Italy start infants on gluten at 8/9 months. I recently spoke with a friend who's DD was diagnosed at 2 years old. I asked her when she introduced gluten and she said 8 months. Having said same, I figure that later is better than sooner.

Nothing, but breastmilk till 6 months. Then introduce plain rice cereal. Then the other cereals one at a time watching for reactions.