abbygirl

The Right Blood Test?

Rate this topic

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with Small Fiber Neuropathy and pre-diabetes. When I went to the endocrinologist he wanted to rule out Celiac disease due to the fact that I suffer from chronic diarrhea. I recieved the results today and I was tested for Hemoglobin A1C, which I know is a diabetes test, but is this also a test for Celiac disease? It gave a reference of (4.5 - 5.7) and my result was 5.6. I sure hope this is the right test because I have given appoximately 20 viles of blood in the last month. Thanks for any help. Shawn

Welcome Abbygirl,

The test you listed is not a test for Celiac Disease. You need to have the Celiac Panel run. It consists of these:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Total Serum IgA

You want to make sure they run all of them, and you must be eating a full gluten diet right up until the test.

Best of luck!

Welcome Abbygirl,

The test you listed is not a test for Celiac Disease. You need to have the Celiac Panel run. It consists of these:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Total Serum IgA

You want to make sure they run all of them, and you must be eating a full gluten diet right up until the test.

Best of luck!

Hi Jerseyangel

I had some testing done but had only the first 3 in your list. Now, I want to have the others done but I want to make sure the last 2 Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA and Total Serum IgA are the only tests I am missing.

Also, could you tell me if there is any of these tests that is more important and has to be done.

I have another question: I have been off gluten for 3 weeks and gluten light for longer. If I eat only barley and rye which have gluten too would it show on my result? I want to try barley and rye as I am trying to rule out a wheat allergy. Should I have wheat products just for the sake of the test?

Thanks.