Googles

Depression After Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

I have been feeling extremely depressed. I suffer from depression, and aside from getting diagnosed with celiac disease my life is really stressful right now. Is getting really severly depressed normal after diagnosis? My psychiatrist and I are trying to figure out how much of this is the diagnosis and how much of it is my regular depression. As a psychiatrist he doesn't know much (if anything) about celiac disease. But since I am moving it seems a little rediculous for him to learn everything abou it. The problem is that my PCP is a resident and doesn't know anything either. Anyone have any advice or knowledge? I've been doing a lot of reading and am going to a dietitian next week. I know I have pretty much no vitamin D in my system and my doc said I problably don't have any of the other fat soluable vitamins either. I am getting those tonight. The GI doc who diagnosed me pretty much said "go at it" you should find someone to check in with once you move. Help please. Is this normal? Thanks.

A lot of us went through a faze that reminded me of the stages of grief. You know like denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance.

There is also gluten withdrawal that can feel like depression and sometimes food cravings.

And then there are neurologic disorders associated with gluten. I've read a lot recently about studies in which gluten was taken out of the diets of people diagnosed with mental illness or juvenile delinquents and marked improvement was noted. I have family and friends who have had very odd mental health issues from gluten ingestion. Issues that go away when they are gluten free.

So yes depression can be from the diagnosis or the gluten or both!

I know this is a crappy answer but it's the one I know is right.

I hope you are feeling happier soon.

RA

Thank you for your imput. I had a bad feeling that was what the answer was going to be. I just want life to be simple again. Or at least not for everything to happen at the same time. :rolleyes:

Your life seems especially hectic right now; with your diagnosis and moving too. I predict as you feel more control over the diet and you get those vitamins in you, you will see some peace and improvement. I would suggest you keep your diet very simple right now with simple whole foods. As you settle into your move, then you can take another look at expanding your diet. Right now you have a lot to think and plan so simplifying your diet should grant you some stability.