ARmomma

11 Month Old With celiac disease/gi?

Rate this topic

For the last few weeks my son has been having some fairly severe digestive problems. He has never slept through the night, and when he wakes up he always doubles over like his stomach hurts-since he started eating solids regularly. However last week he suddenly began having bowel movements 6-7 times a day. Occasionally it would be almost pure liquid, but for the most part it would be just whatever he just ate-undigested mostly. He was tesated for bacterial infections and viruses, which all came back negative. I added probiotics to his food 2-3 times a day, which has helped with the frequency and consistency of the bm's, but still full of undigested food. He also has not gained any weight since he was 6 months old. Any ideas?

Could be lots of things I suppose. Some kind of food intolerance is certainly a possibility. Is he old enough that you can take him off gluten and dairy for a while to see if there is any improvement? You might find a food diary helpful. And also limit or eliminate processed foods and all the major food allergens.

Yes, an 11 month old can have Celiac. Testing for Celiac for patients under 24 months of age is not as reliable. Call your Ped. and get a refferal to a pediatric gastroenterologist. DO NOT CHANGE THE DIET to eliminate gluten until the testing is done. There are other conditions that have the same symptoms (some of which can improve on a gluten free diet too.)