zuni

Gluten Vs. Antibody Blood Test

Rate this topic

I was aghast to get an email that states: "My mom has gone to see a Naturopath and done an allergen bloodtest and Gluten came in through the roof

I was aghast to get an email that states: "My mom has gone to see a Naturopath and done an allergen bloodtest and Gluten came in through the roof… so she is trying to eliminate it as much as possible. "

What is the significance of a high gluten level in the blood (as opposed to high antibody levels, which can indicate Celiacs disease)?

Can a naturopath conduct any type of valid test for gluten intolerance?

To the best of my knowledge, a naturopath can conduct many kinds of blood tests for anything. I think the testing methods are more or less the same, just the treatment aspect is a natural, holistic approach.

Many diagnosed people here have seen naturopaths who have discovered their Celiac Disease.

In response to your question, an allergen blood test is not the same as the bloodwork for Celiac Disease...it is not an allergy, it is an autoimmune disease. Therefore if this person was tested for allergens, then the results are saying that she has an allergy to gluten, not Celiac Disease. Allergies cause the antibody IgE reactions, and Celiac Disease causes IgA and/or IgG reactions.

I would suggest she get a Celiac panel done that looks like this (before she starts the diet):

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Total Serum IgA

Another possibility is that the person whom you are referring to has actually had these antibodies tested, and the person who wrote you the email is mistakenly calling it an "allergen". In which case, she has positive blood work for Celiac Disease.