balmerhon

Endoscopy - Tips On Pre Op?

Rate this topic

My DS (3 years old) is going to have an upper and lower endoscopy on 21 July at Univ of Maryland.

Starting 2 days before, we have to put him on a clear diet. They didn't tell me anything more than that, but someone told me they thought that no red foods (jell-o, popsicles) were allowed. Anyone heard that?

What did you feed your child?

He'll also have to take Miralax. Should I expect to go through a ton of diapers? Is he more likely to get a rash?v

Anyone got any tips for how to cope? I have another son who will have to eat normal food, which will be hard to do in front of the other one! Also, DS will also whine for food all day long, I'm sure. Should I just let him eat as much jell-o as I can? I don't think he'll take broth. He might take popsicles but probably not a lot of them.

Ugh. I am DREADING this!

This won't be a complete answer, but I can respond based upon my own experience with this procedure as an adult.

Red food color can temporarily discolor the lining of the intestines making the appear inflamed when they are not, and by doing so mask real inflammation.

Jell-o in flavors like lemon or lime is okay, as is clear apple juice.

OK, just had the red food thing confirmed. Can anyone else tell me what else to expect?!

My daughter then 2 stopped eating and drinking altogether so she was on an IV when it was done.... Sorry not much help just wanted you to know the procedure was not bad and over quickly and she did have a hard time coming around and they gave her morphine and when she had to have a 2nd one done to put in a feeding tube I would not let them give her morphine.......

Clear liquids are hard for a 3 year old to understand but chicken broth can taste good, along with Jello and popsicles, freeze pops, gatorade.... when she had her second one I tired to make this fun by putting the liquids in different cups with fancy straws, make jello jigglers for fun also...

Hope this helps some and good luck to you.