no-more-muffins

Going On A Cruise

Rate this topic

I am going on my first cruise in 2 weeks. It sucks that I finally get to go but I can't eat much of the food.

I have contacted the cruise company and notified them of my special diet.

What is the best way to avoid gluten, cc and making a scene? I am going with my whole family and I want to be able to eat safely without making everything a huge issue. I am nervous about not being able to eat anything and being a "freak". I am new at this gluten-free thing (3 weeks) and I am still learning.

edit- oops sorry, I somehow missed where you said you HAD called. Ignore that part. Hehe

I did one cruise when I was younger but that was before I knew I was celiac, BUT- I was vegetarian at the time and the brochures said there would be "vegetarian options". Well, technically that was true but the options were not good, I was hungry a lot of the time and even lost some weight because they had no vegan protein sources, what they considered vegetarian was like.. salad.. pasta.. no protein, major nutritional deficiencies. I mean I survived and all but I was disappointed and celiac is obviously something you can't cheat on, so definitely give them a call and see what's up. Hopefully if it's a decent company they will help you out. I have learned the value of calling ahead. I did this for my flights and was surprised at how well the airlines took care of me. A lot of companies are waking up, and every time one of us calls, it adds to the awareness and will help there be better service for celiacs in the future.

Good luck and I hope it all works out and you have a great time! :)

Friends of mine live in Florida, they and a group of friends went on a cruise in the spring. One of their friends is celiac, and she said the cruise line totally accommodated him, desserts and all. She said his food looked wonderful, and he said it tasted wonderful...better yet, he never once got sick. Notifying the cruise line is the best thing you can do. Follow up though, and make sure they do cook for gluten free people too.

I was just diagnosised with celiac disease in Feb 09. My husband and I went on a cruise to Alaska in June on Norwegian Cruise ship. I forgot to call the cruise line ahead of time and worried about what I would eat. The first meal I had there I told them I needed a gluten free meal. The assistant maitre-D came over and personally ensured my meal was safe. After that each time I went to that restaurant as soon as I picked up a menue the assistant maitre-D was right at my side advising what I could eat. They must have flagged our room number, because when we went to the other restaurants, I received the same treatment. The food was wonderful too!

Because of my dietary restriction we only ate in the sit down restaurants. So I can't vouch for any of the food at the buffets.