mommyto6

Child Showing The Symptoms

Rate this topic

My 12 yr old son has been showing several of the symptoms exhibited with Celiac. His 8 yr old sister was diagnosed almost 3 yrs ago. The dr put him on Ranitidine about 3 months ago for stomach issues and ran the blood serum tests last week. The results came back today saying it was inconclusive. He wants to wait another 6 months before running the test again! Does this sound right? He also suggested sending him for a colonoscopy, but that won't show if it is Celiac, right? We have an appointment to go into the office next week, and I want to give him my decision by then.

Help, what advice do you have for me? Should I try him on the gluten free diet and see if the symptoms decrease? Help!!!!

My 12 yr old son has been showing several of the symptoms exhibited with Celiac. His 8 yr old sister was diagnosed almost 3 yrs ago. The dr put him on Ranitidine about 3 months ago for stomach issues and ran the blood serum tests last week. The results came back today saying it was inconclusive.

Get a copy of those results and post them here for help interpretting them. It doesn't sound like he is super knowledgable. You can get another opinion here if you post the results.

He wants to wait another 6 months before running the test again! Does this sound right? He also suggested sending him for a colonoscopy, but that won't show if it is Celiac, right? We have an appointment to go into the office next week, and I want to give him my decision by then.

I know I would be upset if my dr wanted my child to be sick for 6 more months before helping him. You are right a colonoscopy would not help a celiac disease dx. He needs an endoscopy for that. You have to decide if you want your son to have an endoscopy, if you do, insist your dr send you for that. He needs to still be eating gluten for that test. You can test negative on both tests and still be gluten intolerant so just keep that in mind.

Another thing to find out/keep in mind about the blood test: my son was tested once with negative results; then screened again a year later and was then inconclusive because his "total IgA" was low, so the antibodies won't necessarily be elevated. Apparently they never ran the "total" count the first time. His sister is positive so we're having the genetic test done-if it's positive he's going gluten-free. I would just suggest you ask if they checked total IgA. I read that they can also check IgG, but I don't know much about that.