David

Roasted Nuts/sunflower Seeds O.k.?

Rate this topic

Some nuts use flour in the processing of the nuts, usually those are 'dry roasted'. Because the flour is on the lines and not part of the ingredients it does not have to listed on the label. The source of your issue could also be CC. Many of us avoid items in the bulk dept because there is a high risk of CC with them.

Hi,

Yes, I think it's cc, too. I am HIGHLY sensitive and I have no issues with Planter's brand "Nutrition" nuts (not roasted) My favorite is the South Beach diet mix (I'm not on a diet- just yummy mix-cashews, almonds and macadamias) I've eaten this brand for 2 years and no issues and, believe me, if there were ANY gluten, I'd know.

Good luck,

lisa

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you- I've had issues with ground beef to the point I do not use it and am thinking of getting a meat grinder. I wonder if they grind sausage or other things containing gluten on these grinders because it strikes me that would be very difficult to clean. Just a thought...

lisa

Lisa,

I've wondered the same thing. My meat shop said they do sometimes put their meat ball or meat loaf mix into the grinder. Their recipe does contain bread crumbs. It's amazing how gluten can find it's way to us. It's like we are gluten magnets.

Ahorsesoul,

Yes! It's unbelievable, isn't it? I really thought I was nuts with this but there is NO question in mind that the guilty culprit was the burger- I only introduce one new thing at a time. I was miserable for a week with that one. Steak and chicken and roasts are fine.

Take care,

lisa

Generally, yes. You do need to check the ingredients though. Some dry roasted or flavored nuts could contain gluten.

I learned the hard way on the Whole Foods bins too. I remember reading a disclaimer somewhere by them that they don't recommend use of the bin foods for us - not gluten-free. Which I think stinks personally. But then a few weeks ago I was also less than thrilled to see spelt noodles in the middle of the gluten-free noodle section.

I also had some trouble with sunflower seeds when my stomach wasn't quite good yet, also ate too many - unshelled it's easy to do ;)

Pumpkin seeds (pepitas) seem to be a little less fibrous I think.

Have asked for help finding gluten-free seeds and nuts a few posts down.

I thought I could get away with the Lays Natural potato chips too. Alas, it's not the oil, it's cross contamination. A lot of people on here have said so.

Ivy