pholsten

Gluten Free Prior To Biopsy? Need Advice. Brand New To This.

Rate this topic

Good morning,

I am new to this forum. Hello all.

I received positive test results on Friday and the endoscopy/colonoscopy and biopsy are schedule for Thursday. I went yesterday and bought some gluten free food but I am wondering if I should continue with gluten until the biopsy? I do not want a false negative result from the biopsy as I want to know what is going on with my gut once and for all.

So, is it necessary to continue eating gluten until after the biopsy? I thought I was eating gluten free last night but apparently there was gluten in the steak marinade and I feel bad this morning. I am amazed by something that little causing me to feel as I do this morning.

I'm glad I have found this forum.

Pat

Wilmington, NC

Good morning,

I received positive test results on Friday and the endoscopy/colonoscopy and biopsy are schedule for Thursday. I went yesterday and bought some gluten free food but I am wondering if I should continue with gluten until the biopsy? I do not want a false negative result from the biopsy as I want to know what is going on with my gut once and for all.

So, is it necessary to continue eating gluten until after the biopsy? I thought I was eating gluten free last night but apparently there was gluten in the steak marinade and I feel bad this morning. I am amazed by something that little causing me to feel as I do this morning.

Pat

Wilmington, NC

My GI told me to start eating gluten again for 8 weeks before he would schedule the endoscopy. But I had been gluten free (98%) for approx 8 weeks before that. I would continue eating the gluten until the endoscopy is performed.

Good morning,

Pat

Wilmington, NC

Hi and welcome to the forum!

the general consensus is yes, keep eating gluten until the day of your biopsy. as horrible as it may sound continuing to eat gluten will continue the damage and lend itself to a more likely finding of damaged villi.

and yeah in our case "a little bit does hurt", astonishing isn't it.

I was told by my GI doctor today to continue the gluten free diet. My labs were positive though, so maybe he is wanting to look for any damage.

Is your test this Thursday the 16th? Then you probably wouldn't mess up your test results for a couple of days. But your GI should know that any longer than that will make a big difference to your test results. If it's longer than this week, you should keep eating gluten.

will a couple days make a difference on how much damage shows up? maybe not. maybe. you can't really know (unless you do repeat biopsies every week on a gluten free diet starting before you go gluten free... no one wants to do that!) so, to increase your chances of accurate results (no guarantee, however), keep eating plenty of gluten until the biopsy.