patb

Masa Harina

Rate this topic

My DH found a new bread recipe for me to try and it calls for Masa Harina. While masa harina seems to be naturally gluten free, I am concerned about any cross contamination problems. Are there any brands that anyone has tried that they have reacted to? Being in a rural community, I have a limited range of choices.

I've used to brands we get in Hawaii with no trouble from either. Can't remember the names but they are from Mexico and brought to the stores here in Hawaii for the field workers.

Some of the other Mexican brands of corn tortillas are really good too. Maybe you can find a hispanic grocery in your town.

Ken

My DH found a new bread recipe for me to try and it calls for Masa Harina. While masa harina seems to be naturally gluten free, I am concerned about any cross contamination problems. Are there any brands that anyone has tried that they have reacted to? Being in a rural community, I have a limited range of choices.

I've used to brands we get in Hawaii with no trouble from either. Can't remember the names but they are from Mexico and brought to the stores here in Hawaii for the field workers.

Some of the other Mexican brands of corn tortillas are really good too. Maybe you can find a hispanic grocery in your town.

Ken

Thanks Ken! We do have a hispanic grocery store here. great idea!

I have had the best experiences from brands that are small and Latino. I get alot of problems with cross-contamination (I'm guessing) in plain tortilla chips but found a brand that is small. They don't do all the flavors that alot of the companies do. Bingo! And the Masa is the same. Small, Latino company brands.

I use Masa Harina from Aldi's. I have not had any problems from using it.

Want to share your new recipe?

Debbie

www.myefusjon.com/1debbie

Debbie

I definitely will as soon as I try it out. Thanks for your help.

Debbie

Here is the link to the bread recipe. I have tried it twice now and it tastes good and it's soft! I can't remember the last time I didn't have to toast gluten free bread. This was my first attempt at making it myself and I am pleased. The flour mix I used with the masa harina is also linked to this link. I did not mix all of my ingredients up like she did before putting it in the bread maker. I followed all the steps, but then let the bread maker do the mixing.

http://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/arc...sandwich-bread/

Here is the link to the bread recipe. I have tried it twice now and it tastes good and it's soft! I can't remember the last time I didn't have to toast gluten free bread. This was my first attempt at making it myself and I am pleased. The flour mix I used with the masa harina is also linked to this link. I did not mix all of my ingredients up like she did before putting it in the bread maker. I followed all the steps, but then let the bread maker do the mixing.

http://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/arc...sandwich-bread/

Hey thanks. I will give that a try as soon as the weather cools down again.