Mizyellow

Should I Do A Gluten Free Diet? Or Is The Dairy?

Rate this topic

SO my son has a dairy intolerance and I thought perhaps he had a gluten problem too. ABout 6 weeks ago I started eating dairy (I BF) and he seemed fine for about 2 weeks- then he started having diahrrea. He hasn't been really growing since he was about 7 months (when we started giving him wheat products) He hans't gained any weight for 7 months but he just started having the diarrhea when I started eating dairy. I cut dairy out again and it has taken about 4 weeks but his stool is not quite as loose and his frequency is down. I don't know whether to cut out gluten or just chalk it up to dairy. I am so concerned about his growth problems?! Any advice?

At first I thougt from your post that he was eating gluten-free, then I reread it and now I don't know! Is he not gluten-free now? I would say you already have an answer for dairy as you have a positive dietary response to his being dairy free. If you aren't gluten-free you can try it again and I would keep so notes on his progress. Dr's really respond to the written word even if it's in your handwriting. Keep us posted.

At first I thougt from your post that he was eating gluten-free, then I reread it and now I don't know! Is he not gluten-free now? I would say you already have an answer for dairy as you have a positive dietary response to his being dairy free. If you aren't gluten-free you can try it again and I would keep so notes on his progress. Dr's really respond to the written word even if it's in your handwriting. Keep us posted.

He is not gluten-free yet. I was going to start a gluten-free diet after we got the results from his pancreatic elastase test (still not in) but now I am not sure whether or not the growth problem and occasianal dairrhea is reason enough to go gluten-free?

Whether to keep eating gluten for testing or to just plunge in and try the diet, that is a very personal decision. I've read plenty of posts from parents whose child reagained growth going gluten-free. But that is not the only possible medical explanation. Some of the parents held out for testing and others didn't. I hope they will weigh in with you here.

If you are planning to have celiac disease testing, you do need to keep him eating gluten or it will sku the test. Tests are tricky with little ones, they often test with false negatives. I only say that so you can understand the nature of the test. I'm not discouraging you from having the tests. Your dr may want to check for other medical problems and that seems reasonable to me.

Good luck with your boy. He's lucky to have such a caring parent!