This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hilton Head Help?

lovegrov

lovegrov Collaborator

Going to Hilton Head for the first time ever in two weeks. We'll make most of our own meals but will be eating out some.

I'm aware of chains that are helpful but that's not what I really want while I'm there. I am a BIG seafood fan and realize I can get plenty of that steamed or broiled. BUT, are there any special local places any of you all have gone that you would recommend? And are there any particularly good places to buy gluten-free supplies if I need to do so or places that make gluten-free goodies?

many thanks

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast
Going to Hilton Head for the first time ever in two weeks. We'll make most of our own meals but will be eating out some.

I'm aware of chains that are helpful but that's not what I really want while I'm there. I am a BIG seafood fan and realize I can get plenty of that steamed or broiled. BUT, are there any special local places any of you all have gone that you would recommend? And are there any particularly good places to buy gluten-free supplies if I need to do so or places that make gluten-free goodies?

many thanks

richard

Googling indicates there are two health food stores in HHI, which helps. This lady has a restaurant suggestion Open Original Shared Link but somebody in her comments section had a different experience at the same restaurant. The local specialty at that end of the state is Frogmore Stew, but I'm not sure I'd trust any restaurant not to put flour in. It's easy to make it yourself: Open Original Shared Link Gay's Seafood near Beaufort, mentioned in the link, is the go-to spot for fresh (i.e. raw) seafood, assuming you have a cooler or something.

Have a good trip, and good luck.

fig girl Rookie

many thanks

richard

Hi Richard,

My husband and I have been to Hilton Head for vacation the last 2 years because we had such a great experience on finding gluten free restaurants. I had emailed the local Celiac support group in that area before our trip and they said pretty much all of the restaurants there can accomodate and i found that to be true to the one's we ate at. Our absolute favorite though is Sigler's Rotisserie which is actually in Bluffton, SC which is right outside of HHI - about 15 minutes away not far past the outlets. This was my husband's favorite also and he doesn't eat gluten free. I had searched on-line and saw a recommendation for it and we tried it our first trip and they were so very helpful and the food was just wonderful! We ate there twice on our first trip! I called the restaurants and made reservations and mentioned that i have to eat gluten free beforehand. This year i have other intolerances so when i called Sigler's i spoke with Shirley Sigler and she was so very nice and helpful (as they were the previous year). I told her what i can eat and she said they would make sure i had a meal i could eat and asked me what i would like and i told her the chicken (it's so delicious!) - they have their magic crystals they season it with which may be gluten free but since i have other intolerances they made mine special with just salt and pepper only and it was wonderful! :) The first year they made me special gluten free desserts that were so delicious - this year i am so limited on what i can eat that i passed on dessert. The only dessert i'm eating is SCD yogurt and ripe bananas - i had my dessert when we got back to the condo.

Open Original Shared Link

Here's some other places that were very good and accomodated a gluten free meal - i called ahead of time and asked them and made reservations if they took them. The good thing too is most of the restaurants have an early bird special if you go early and it's a much better price...usually before 6 or 6:30 i believe. Some i emailed as well as called and gave them a list of the foods i can eat.

Also, Black Marlin Grille was good and we didn't eat at Alexander's (i believe that's the name) but may try it next time. It's owned by the same owner of Red Fish. Frankie Bone's is supposed to be good also but we haven't eaten there.

Hilton Head also has a Fresh Market grocery store which is great and a Publix and a Kroger (i believe) oh, and a Harris Teeter and all of these have great fresh produce (some organic) and some gluten free foods. They also have a Walmart. HHI is an excellent place to vacation in my opinion if you're gluten free.

Hope this helps. Have a great time! :)

Archived