shaymorgan

Red Blood Cell Count And Symptoms

Rate this topic

I am 20 years old and am currently waiting on my test results to come back and am a little bit nervous. Here are my symptoms, I was wondering if you guys could tell me if you think it may be celiac disease.

I have had stomach problems for a long time and they told me it was IBS

Nausea, cramping, and sweating when I feel the urge to use the bathroom

Oil in my stool

Diarrhea and constipation all the time (one or the other)

Migraines and anxiety, and panic attacks since I was about 13 years old

Sores inside my mouth

I did a cbc the other day for an infection and the doctor called me back and said that my red blood cell count was a little high. Then I asked her if she could test for celiac disease and I am waiting on the results. Does a high red blood cell count have any correlation with this disease?

Welcome to the group!

A high RBC count is not dangerous by itself, but it could be a sign of some other underlying problem (which again, may or may not be dangerous). Here's a list of causes from the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-red-...DSECTION=causes

You might also find that your RBC count goes back to normal on a gluten-free diet (whether you have celiac disease or not). Gluten sensitivity can throw off all kinds of numbers on a CBC and metabolic panel. Try not to worry too much, but do follow up on this!

Otherwise, I'd say your symptoms are pretty consistent with celiac :( It was a great idea to get tested. Even if the test comes back "negative" you might want to give the gluten-free diet a try.

Thank you for you help, I will give it a try. I should be getting the results back tomo or the next day but if it isn't Celiac then i have no clue what it could be.

Welcome to the group!

A high RBC count is not dangerous by itself, but it could be a sign of some other underlying problem (which again, may or may not be dangerous). Here's a list of causes from the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-red-...DSECTION=causes

You might also find that your RBC count goes back to normal on a gluten-free diet (whether you have celiac disease or not). Gluten sensitivity can throw off all kinds of numbers on a CBC and metabolic panel. Try not to worry too much, but do follow up on this!

Otherwise, I'd say your symptoms are pretty consistent with celiac :( It was a great idea to get tested. Even if the test comes back "negative" you might want to give the gluten-free diet a try.

If it's not celiac disease it could be gluten intolerance; same symptoms, same treatment. One blood test coming up negative isn't proof you don't have celiac disease either. Lots of people that have it, tested negative on the blood panel.

If it's not celiac disease it could be gluten intolerance; same symptoms, same treatment. One blood test coming up negative isn't proof you don't have celiac disease either. Lots of people that have it, tested negative on the blood panel.

So how do you know for sure? This is all new to me, but I am waiting to get my results in and if it isn't celiac disease I should still do a gluten free diet?