This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Coffee Processed Without Gluten

BuffyWWJD

BuffyWWJD Newbie

I can't seem to find a manufacturer that says their coffee (beans or ground) is processed without flour (gluten) to keep the beans from sticking while moving or without an oil that contains gluten somewhere in their processing.

Anyone have a good suggestion on to where to buy or what brand would be completely gluten free in their processing or processing environment?

I'm going to try buying any coffee beans and rinse them off before grinding them at home. And that make a pot of coffee.

If I still get ill with gluten symptoms, I'm going to try washing them in a little soapy water, then rinse thoroughly. I'll then grind and make a new pot of coffee. It the coffee tastes soapy or still makes have gluten symptoms, I'll let ya know.

Hopefully something will work and if it does, I'll let you know that for sure!!

I miss my delicious coffee but don't like getting sick, so I'm drinking tea and not liking it. We all have to give so much up to be gluten free & healthy already, UGH! Buffy :))

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Coffee in itself is gluten free and it is not dusted with flour to keep the beans from sticking. Flour would be considered one of the eight main allergens and full disclosure would be required.

Enjoy your coffee.

oceangirl Collaborator

I have been enjoying a few cups of java a week again for about 2 years and all is well. If there were gluten in it, because of my insane sensitivity, I'm sure I'd have known by now!

Yum!

lisa

kenlove Rising Star

The only coffee you have to worry about is some of the flavored coffees. Pure coffee beans have no gluten nor are processed with wheat. Especially what we grow here in Kona <G>

ken

I can't seem to find a manufacturer that says their coffee (beans or ground) is processed without flour (gluten) to keep the beans from sticking while moving or without an oil that contains gluten somewhere in their processing.

Anyone have a good suggestion on to where to buy or what brand would be completely gluten free in their processing or processing environment?

I'm going to try buying any coffee beans and rinse them off before grinding them at home. And that make a pot of coffee.

If I still get ill with gluten symptoms, I'm going to try washing them in a little soapy water, then rinse thoroughly. I'll then grind and make a new pot of coffee. It the coffee tastes soapy or still makes have gluten symptoms, I'll let ya know.

Hopefully something will work and if it does, I'll let you know that for sure!!

I miss my delicious coffee but don't like getting sick, so I'm drinking tea and not liking it. We all have to give so much up to be gluten free & healthy already, UGH! Buffy :))

lizard00 Enthusiast

As to what Ken said, I've been glutened by flavored coffee... :angry:

I stick to whole beans, non flavored, whatever blend I'm in the mood for and have otherwise had no problems.

kenlove Rising Star

Me too so I started flavoring my own coffee -- grand the beans with dried orange peel, Cinnamon stick or roasted mac nuts.

Every now and then its nice to do!

Ken

As to what Ken said, I've been glutened by flavored coffee... :angry:

I stick to whole beans, non flavored, whatever blend I'm in the mood for and have otherwise had no problems.

ohsotired Enthusiast

Thanks for the tops, Ken! Orange peels & cinnamon sound divine mixed in with the beans!

Oh, and can you do something about the price of that Kona coffee for us mainland folks? ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

Sure wish I could do something about the price -- I bought the farm so it wasnt so expensive!

Actually our coop just went up on buying back the processed coffee too.

I have not tried vanilla beans in the coffee yet since they cost more than the coffee!

take care

Thanks for the tops, Ken! Orange peels & cinnamon sound divine mixed in with the beans!

Oh, and can you do something about the price of that Kona coffee for us mainland folks? ;)

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Sure wish I could do something about the price -- I bought the farm so it wasnt so expensive!

Actually our coop just went up on buying back the processed coffee too.

I have not tried vanilla beans in the coffee yet since they cost more than the coffee!

take care

If you like sugar in your coffee you can take a vanilla bean crack it up a it then put it into a jar of sugar, seal and leave it a couple of days and it will give a great vanilla scent and flavor to the sugar you add to the coffee.

Sassy-1 Newbie

It may be the acid in the coffee that is bothering you.

I have not been able to drink regular coffee for a couple of years now without it just killing my stomach. The stuff just kills my stomach. But I have had great success with low-acid coffee. I buy the Trader Joe's brand. I tried the Folger's coffee that was supposed to be easy on the stomach but still had issues.

Maybe this will help. :)

darlindeb25 Collaborator

The very first time I was glutened after going gluten free was hazelnut coffee at a convience store. That glutening I will never forget. I also worked in a convience store and used to read the ingredients on cappichino boxes...probably 30 or 40 ingredients. In my opinon, that many ingreds is just asking for trouble.

I have just started using coconut milk for my coffee, it's vanilla flavored. My first cup I wasn't sure if I liked it, but it's growing on me. The store only had vanilla flavored. It may be difficult for me to get used to simply because I have never, ever wanted anything flavored in my coffee.

lovegrov Collaborator

I challenge anybody to show us a coffee maker that uses flour to keep beans from sticking. There would be no reason to do so. Where did this notion come from?

In addition, any flavored coffee that uses wheat would now have to list the wheat. Can anybody name a specific coffee that has wheat?

richard

lizard00 Enthusiast
I challenge anybody to show us a coffee maker that uses flour to keep beans from sticking. There would be no reason to do so. Where did this notion come from?

In addition, any flavored coffee that uses wheat would now have to list the wheat. Can anybody name a specific coffee that has wheat?

richard

I was glutened by The Fresh Market's brand. It was a chocolate something flavored coffee, was not packaged, and my thought is that the flavoring contained barley malt rather than wheat. I contacted the company and they wouldn't give me any info.... but my reactions are so specific to gluten that I know that's what it was. It was also the only different thing in my diet, so I tracked it to that.

I don't think that it's common, (which was why I took the risk in the first place) but it's there.

Wheat, though, I've never really been worried about in coffee.

kenlove Rising Star

Thats a good idea although I dont use sugar in anything these days. ( bad diabetes)

The idea of this is great and I will try it the next time I harvest vanilla.

One guy here has a machine to juice sugar cane so he's adding this to his coffee.

Using fresh liquid sugar juice as a replacement for the white processed stuff should be interesting.

ken

If you like sugar in your coffee you can take a vanilla bean crack it up a it then put it into a jar of sugar, seal and leave it a couple of days and it will give a great vanilla scent and flavor to the sugar you add to the coffee.
jerseyangel Proficient

I've been doing this for years--it's good added to so many things :) The longer you leave it, the better it gets. ;)

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I do not bother to read flavored coffee labels any longer, I will not use them. I do however know, many flavored teas contain gluten. Celestial Seasoning Teas will always list gluten, and many of them do contain gluten.

No one should have to prove anything. Warning others to always read the ingredients before purchasing is always the best thing to do.

Gemini Experienced

richard

The ONLY coffee, non-flavored, that would be a problem are ones you generally only see in Europe. Regular, brewed coffee can contain barley or other grains. It's common practice in Europe and why, when traveling there, you should only drink latte's and cappuccino's.....no brewed coffee served in urns on the breakfast table!

There is a coffee substitute on the market for people trying to stop drinking coffee or switch to something without caffeine but it is horrible tasting and probably contains grains so would be inappropriate for Celiacs.

I do not like flavored coffee or tea's so don't have a problem with wondering what is gluten-free or not. I like coffee flavored coffee! ;)

Sometimes I also wonder where people get these ideas.....obviously they need to read a good, medical book on celiac disease to learn how the disease process works so they will know what to eat and what to avoid. I know it can be murky at first but flour dusted coffee beans?!?! :huh: Coffee beans are so oily they wouldn't stick together anyway!

lovegrov Collaborator
I do not bother to read flavored coffee labels any longer, I will not use them. I do however know, many flavored teas contain gluten. Celestial Seasoning Teas will always list gluten, and many of them do contain gluten.

No one should have to prove anything. Warning others to always read the ingredients before purchasing is always the best thing to do.

You don't use flavored coffees but plenty others do. And I was simply pointing out that in the U.S., coffee is pretty much OK.

I would certainly hope people still read ingredients. I do.

richard

darlindeb25 Collaborator
You don't use flavored coffees but plenty others do. And I was simply pointing out that in the U.S., coffee is pretty much OK.

I am not going to argue with you. I do not use them because I do not trust them. If you want to try them, that's your prerogative, just as it is my right to believe as I do. All I know is, because I do believe there are flavored coffees containing gluten, and I voice that opinion, then others will be sure to check before they drink one and get ill. That is the bottom line, and what matters most.

BuffyWWJD Newbie

Here's some confirmation that gluten may be in some coffee bean processing:

"While coffee beans themself are gluten-free, it's possible that it's come in contact with gluten during processing it. All coffee is not guaranteed gluten-free. It is strongly recommended that you contact the brand company to specifically ask about cross-contamination or oils used to flavor the coffee. Some companies will dust their manufacturing lines with flour to keep the beans rolling along, and oils can have gluten in them." From this webpage: Open Original Shared Link

I will research this further by contacting specific manufacturers with this question of 'gluten in your processing of coffee beans anywhere?' and let you know what I find. You all could try this to and we'll end up with a nice list of safe or unsafe coffee beans. Thanks for all you suggestions and help. Buffy :D

lizard00 Enthusiast
Here's some confirmation that gluten may be in some coffee bean processing:

"While coffee beans themself are gluten-free, it's possible that it's come in contact with gluten during processing it. All coffee is not guaranteed gluten-free. It is strongly recommended that you contact the brand company to specifically ask about cross-contamination or oils used to flavor the coffee. Some companies will dust their manufacturing lines with flour to keep the beans rolling along, and oils can have gluten in them." From this webpage: Open Original Shared Link

I will research this further by contacting specific manufacturers with this question of 'gluten in your processing of coffee beans anywhere?' and let you know what I find. You all could try this to and we'll end up with a nice list of safe or unsafe coffee beans. Thanks for all you suggestions and help. Buffy :D

Please do research this and let us know... A response to a post on wiki answers by someone who doesn't list any specifics or have any sort of credentials is not a sufficient answer for me.

lovegrov Collaborator

"I do not bother to read flavored coffee labelsI do however know, many flavored teas contain gluten. Celestial Seasoning Teas will always list gluten, and many of them do contain gluten."

Indeed they do, and they list the gluten. Exactly what does that have to do with coffee?

richard

lovegrov Collaborator

"No one should have to prove anything."

When you claim, as you frequently seem to do, that certain products OFTEN contain gluten, but then you never offer any specific examples when asked, then, yes, you should provide some proof. Scaring people needlessly is irresponsible. This is what the CSA used to do -- and still does to some degree. People still quote their old posts about how ALL distilled vinegar should be avoided, MSG contains gluten, carrageen (sp?) should be avoided, and on and on.

richard

darlindeb25 Collaborator
"No one should have to prove anything."

Oh really? You've just shown how incredibly untrustworthy you are.

When you claim, as you frequently seem to do, that certain products OFTEN contain gluten, but then you never offer any specific examples when asked, then, yes, you should provide some proof. Scaring people needlessly is irresponsible. This is what the CSA used to do -- and still does to some degree. People still quote their old posts about how ALL distilled vinegar should be avoided, MSG contains gluten, carrageen (sp?) should be avoided, and on and on.

richard

I simply meant, I do not have to prove to you that I was glutened by flavored coffee, I know I was.

Yes, I do not trust these huge companies who claim they will always list gluten, when in all essence, they do not have to list any gluten below 20ppm. That is a proven fact..research the GIG website, it's all there.. Open Original Shared Link If they do not have to list gluten below 20ppm, but there is still 20ppm, 10ppm, or even 5ppm, then for those of us who are much more sensitive, we need to be worried. I am not scaring people, I am hoping they remain alert, and never trust blindly. They can not even test for gluten free, the lowest they can test for is 5ppm.

People who continue to have symptoms need to realize this information is out there for them. I am not scaring them, I am giving them the help they need to find out what really is going on. I am not being irresponsible, I am being gluten conscious, which is what every gluten intolerant person sould be.

Lisa Mentor

Well, I assume that you are saying deb, that that anyone who is sensitive to gluten beyond 5ppm (parts per million) or 20 ppm should not eat any farm grown, processed or marketed foods from any where, because companies are not trust worthy.

What do you eat in the course of a day?

Great inroad have been traveled over the past couple of years to work with large companies to disclose what is considered a safe level for Celiac and gluten sensitive to consume. Was life easier five years ago? The progress that has been made in recent years has been enormous!

The topic is, "coffee beans dusted with gluten". I have yet so see a substantiated claim that it does.

Let me call you attention to our Board Rule #5:

Any claims you make here should be based on legitimate sources, or be expressed as opinion, experience, or inquiry. You should remain on topic and be consistent with the theme of the forum as a whole.

Archived