This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Nightshade Vegetables And Artificial Sweetners

txplowgirl

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Hi everyone, I am 45 yrs young and have had stomach problems for as long as I can remember. Last year in August I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Rhuematoid arthritis. In May of this year found out I have Celiac. What fun. LOL In doing my research I have found out that not only do I have a problem with gluten but I also have problems with the nightshade vegetables as well as all of the artificial sweeteners except Splenda. On top of all this I also found out I have an intolerance to aspartame. Aaarrrhhhh! There goes my Diet Mountain Dew! Sugars as well. Nightshade veggies are potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant and all peppers. So far dairy is ok except cheese. I have yet to figure that out. Regular veggies which mess with me also are cabbage, squash, cucumbers and carrots. Since May I have lost 16 lbs. Which is good because I weighed 205. Looking forward to sharing with everyone, losing weight and feeling good. Vicky

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Hi Vicky: I am another RA sufferer, although strictly speaking mine is psoriatic arthritis because I also have psoriasis. I used to be told I had fibromyalgia too! I have been avoiding the nightshade family too, and have now discovered (well, it makes sense when you think about it) that I cannot do any of the flour blends that have potato starch in them, which explains the constant itching. I am just doing research and purchasing to make my own flour mix, but unfortunately Carole Fenster and Bette Hagemans books are all in New Zealand and I won't see them until September. I had been wondering what else I could do to get rid of the itching and then finally figured it out. This is a real journey we are on and there are new turns in the road all the time.

Have you ever tried Stevia sweetener? It is a plant much sweeter than sugar. You can't necessarily use it in baking in place of sugar but it is a great sweetener for most other purposes. Some people find it has an aftertaste, but I don't. So many companies are getting on the Stevia bandwagon now that you do have to check that it is gluten free.

Cabbage and cucumbers are common intolerances, even for those who can handle gluten. But you will find that your intolerances are individual to you and it is a detective game to figure out what they are.

I was also an overweight celiac who lost heaps as soon as I quit eating gluten.

Welcome to the forum and come back with any and all questions/problems that arise.

YoloGx Rookie

I can't handle the nightshades or artificial sweetners either. As the other poster said, stevia powder is great! You can also grow it. I think its related to sage plants. A little goes a long way...and no calories! Its not good with everything, but it is good with many things--if that makes sense. Too much and it becomes bitter.

Bea

ang1e0251 Contributor

Ditto on the stevia! I use the powdered concentrate. I also cannot tolerate artificial sweeteners but the soft drink companies are coming out with drinks with stevia so I might try those.

Welcome to the forum! I hope your new way of eating is the answer to your health concerns. It sure cleared up a lot of pain for me.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. The itching is really driving me crazy. It is mainly around my middle to lower shoulder blades on my back and around my rib cage, sometimes on my chest. Can't see anything but man does it itch. I didn't know that the potato starch can cause itching. Going to have to watch out for that for sure. Hmm, the last couple of days I don't remember having anything with potato starch in it but for me it might be something else that causes it. I don't really care for the Stevia because to me it has a bitter aftertaste.

I also wonder if I might have been diagnosed wrong with the fibro and it's just the celiac doing this to me, I can remember at 8 yrs old hurting and aching so bad I couldn't hardly move. So exhausted when I was sent outside to play I would go to sleep in the car or in the fork of our pecan tree. LOL.

And to top everything else off I am a truck driver, I run all across this country of ours. I have asked in some of the truck stop restauraunts if they serve gluten free food. Sometimes I get a kick out of the waitresses faces when they look at me. I've heard everything from "what is that?" to "there's no such thing as gluten." So, I eat a lot of salads and carry my own gluten free dressing with me.

Oh by the way before I forget. I have found a small book titled "Gluten Free Grocery Shopping Guide" 2008/09 edition by Matison and Matison. has over 25000 gluten free products at your fingertips!. I take this thing with me everywhere I go. A little expensive (28.00) for a small book but it's over an inch thick. But I think well worth it because it lists items by alphabet and major and store brands. Also lists OTC medications, health and beauty aids, as well as pet foods of all things. You name it , it has it. I love it. Anyway everybody have a great day. Vicky

mushroom Proficient

With me, most food intolerances cause itching, whether invisible or in red blotches and wheals. Those are the same places I got the soy itches. Soy, citric acid, potato starch, have all done this. You will have to figure out for yourself what is getting to you. Took me over 18 months to figure out the potato starch. :(

You will find that probably 50% of the posters on this forum have at some point before celiac diagnosis been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. For some, it is a real disease still, for a lot of us others it is just a diagnosis like IBS when they don't know what you really have.

I can just imagine the response at the truck stops--gluten hog heaven!! Although I often get the same response here in Nevada!

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I'm another Celiac with Fibro and nightshade problems. I do have some itching now and then. I've never tied it to potato starch but I'll keep track for a few months.

I'm against artifical sweetners. I have a dd with a brain injury who use to shake so bad she had to drink out of covered sippy cups or end up spilling because she shook so bad. Once off the diet sodas (she started with regular soda instead) she stopped shaking and lost 10 pounds. In two years since she stopped the diet stuff she's lost over 30 pounds. We now laugh about that we've never seen a skinny person drinking a diet drink.

I've heard (but not checked out) that aspartame was invented in Japan but it's against the law to serve it there. They use Stevia instead.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ang1e0251 Contributor

Do you think you could be having a reaction to red dye? It can also come out in the skin and behavior. Blue and yellow dye also but red seems to be the worst.

And with nightshade problems don't forget paprika. It's nightshade and it is used in a lot of seasonings like seasoned salt and chips like Doritos.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Wow, ang1e0251, What does the gluten and the dyes have to do with each other? And the paprika, Oh boy, I think I know what got me the other night. Mrs. Dash had paprika in it. I didn't know that was a nightshade plant. Darn it! :(

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Doe's anyone know what all is in the nightshade family? All I found was the potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant and peppers. I have'nt found anything else listed. Man, any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone, Vicky

ang1e0251 Contributor

The gluten and dyes don't have anything to do with each other. It's just that dyes can cause skin rashes and behavior problems in some. It's more noticable in children but that doesn't mean you can't be sensitive as an adult.

sixtytwo Apprentice

To txplowgirl.......Spenda is really bad stuff. People have had all kinds of bad reactions to it, I wouldn't touch it again. I had this mettalic taste on my tongue and when I stopped using Splenda, it went away. That is just a mild reaction, people have had much worse. Do some research on the internet, you will see.

mushroom Proficient
Doe's anyone know what all is in the nightshade family? All I found was the potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant and peppers. I have'nt found anything else listed. Man, any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone, Vicky

You have to remember that the pepper family is quite large (but excludes the black pepper we grind). Not just bell peppers and chili peppers but paprika, dried chilies, chili powder, cayenne. These are in a lot of commercial seasoning mixes.

Archived