MM5079

Help Interpreting Blood Test!

Rate this topic

Hi, All!

I've read and read the site about the blood test, but I'm still a little confused. The nurse called me on the phone to tell me the results, but said everything so fast I couldn't process it well. He said that my anti-tissue transglutaminase (tTG-IgA) was 24 and the typical high is 19. He then said my endomysial was below the high raito of 1-10 or something to that effect! Either way, he said that my results do suggest Celiacs, and they will be doing a biopsy next week! Can anybody tell me if this test alone is indicitive of Celiacs? What's the percentage of a confirmed diagnosis of Celiacs of individuals with an anti-tissue transglutaminase (tTG-IgA) of 24?

I have an uncle with Celiacs, and finally gave in to his pressure for getting tested. I have been going though hell with GI issues. I hope this is finally an answer and my peripheral neuropathy will go away!

You finally have your answer. When the tests are positive it is pretty certain that you are celiac. Even if the biopsy turns out to be a 'negative' you really should get on the diet. False negatives on both blood and biopsy are all too common.

You finally have your answer. When the tests are positive it is pretty certain that you are celiac. Even if the biopsy turns out to be a 'negative' you really should get on the diet. False negatives on both blood and biopsy are all too common.

It's almost too good to be true to finally know what's wrong with me. Should I continue eating Gluten until after the biopsy on the 23rd, or is it safe to go ahead and limit my intake as I've been doing?

If you are going to have a biopsy in the near future, I would recommend that you not change your diet until after the procedure. Next week is just days away. A high tTG-IgA is indicative of celiac disease, but a positive biopsy will confirm that celiac is indeed the cause.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that once the endoscopy is done, I would adopt a gluten-free diet based on the tTG-IgA test alone.