This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help Interpreting Blood Test!

MM5079

MM5079 Rookie

Hi, All!

I've read and read the site about the blood test, but I'm still a little confused. The nurse called me on the phone to tell me the results, but said everything so fast I couldn't process it well. He said that my anti-tissue transglutaminase (tTG-IgA) was 24 and the typical high is 19. He then said my endomysial was below the high raito of 1-10 or something to that effect! Either way, he said that my results do suggest Celiacs, and they will be doing a biopsy next week! Can anybody tell me if this test alone is indicitive of Celiacs? What's the percentage of a confirmed diagnosis of Celiacs of individuals with an anti-tissue transglutaminase (tTG-IgA) of 24?

I have an uncle with Celiacs, and finally gave in to his pressure for getting tested. I have been going though hell with GI issues. I hope this is finally an answer and my peripheral neuropathy will go away!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You finally have your answer. When the tests are positive it is pretty certain that you are celiac. Even if the biopsy turns out to be a 'negative' you really should get on the diet. False negatives on both blood and biopsy are all too common.

MM5079 Rookie
You finally have your answer. When the tests are positive it is pretty certain that you are celiac. Even if the biopsy turns out to be a 'negative' you really should get on the diet. False negatives on both blood and biopsy are all too common.

It's almost too good to be true to finally know what's wrong with me. Should I continue eating Gluten until after the biopsy on the 23rd, or is it safe to go ahead and limit my intake as I've been doing?

psawyer Proficient

If you are going to have a biopsy in the near future, I would recommend that you not change your diet until after the procedure. Next week is just days away. A high tTG-IgA is indicative of celiac disease, but a positive biopsy will confirm that celiac is indeed the cause.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that once the endoscopy is done, I would adopt a gluten-free diet based on the tTG-IgA test alone.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - cristiana replied to djmu's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Peripheral Neuropathy

2. - Tlbaked13 replied to djmu's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Peripheral Neuropathy

3. - trents replied to djmu's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Peripheral Neuropathy

4. - shadycharacter replied to Linedancegal's topic in Introduce Yourself / Share Stuff

25 year biopsy confirmed/ate pizza with no ill effects?

5. - Tlbaked13 replied to djmu's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Peripheral Neuropathy

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

MorticiaCat
    Newest Member
    MorticiaCat
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• cristiana
      Hi Tibaked If you are diagnosed with coeliac disease, you may find that all sorts of symptoms will be alleviated by a gluten free diet.  GERD and lactose intolerance can be greatly reduced if not eliminated once the gluten-free diet is adopted.  However, if you want to be tested and officially diagnosed you will need to have been consuming gluten until your blood test/endoscopy.   Although I don't have the same sensations you describe before my diagnosis, I frequently woke up with numb arms and numb fingers.  I could feel pins and needles in my extremities.  Weirdest of all, the sensation that drops of cold water, like rain, were falling on me, even though the sun was shining or I was indoors. It took time but things got much better after after following a gluten free diet for a while. Of course,  some neuropathy is caused by malnutrition, common in coeliacs when first diagnosed,  so make sure the doctor checks your vitamin (particularly B12) and iron levels. Cristiana
    • Tlbaked13
      Not officially diagnosed yet I goto the doctor a week from today but I'm 110% that will be the diagnosis I honestly can't believe my doctors/health care team hasn't put it together before I mean I'm basically the live and walking definition straight from the book haha I don't think I've ever been so sure on anything before I'm just reqly concerned for this diet I will be living on or diets I guess due to type 1 diabetes, gastroparesis, gerd, celiac disease, and lactose intolerance...what is left? A sand salad with a side of rain water?!? I definitely see a tough future
    • trents
      Welcome to the forum, @Tlbaked13! Have you been officially diagnosed with celiac disease? It is well-known that celiac disease can result in peripheral neuropathy but so can diabetes. 
    • shadycharacter
      Lactic acid bacteria start to develop as soon as flour and water are mixed, so I assumed that in a yeast dough with long proofing time there could be some effect of fermentation and gluten break down. 
    • Tlbaked13
      I am COMPLETELY new to this celiac disease however I have had the same feelings and then some with my feet for years now and been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy myself but they blamed and attempted to treat due from my type 1 diabetes and none of the treatment has helped at all so far so possible from celiac disease? Just sharing MY thoughts on this I've had zero confirmation