amoliphant

Fiber Supplements?

Rate this topic

I get plenty of fruits and vegetables, but evidently still lack in the fiber department...before going gluten free I used an all-natural product with Psyllium Husk being the main ingredient...I liked the product immensely (Colonix) and the company reps tell me the product is a gluten free product but just to make certain, I would like to know what the general concensus is out there regarding psyllium husk and or other fiber supplements? I don't want anything with artificial ingredients, etc....thanks!

I get plenty of fruits and vegetables, but evidently still lack in the fiber department...before going gluten free I used an all-natural product with Psyllium Husk being the main ingredient...I liked the product immensely (Colonix) and the company reps tell me the product is a gluten free product but just to make certain, I would like to know what the general concensus is out there regarding psyllium husk and or other fiber supplements? I don't want anything with artificial ingredients, etc....thanks!

I have seen several places on the web that talk about Psyllium Husk making the consistency of gluten free breads more closely approximate "real" bread.

I have yet to try it out, but will be as soon as I get back from vacation.

the best natural fiber you'll be able to find is ground flax seed. make sure it is ground, because you get more omega's that way. you can get it at whole foods or your local health care store

With the flax, do you just add it here and there, to smoothies, on salads and such? I don't know why I hadn't thought of that before--I would be staying with a "seed" and away from another grain...atleast I think Psyllium is a grain (?)...

I use psyillium husks from Yerba Prima. It's a loose powder you can sprinkle in your food. It is made from the outer coating of seeds of the plantago plant. See the Wiki link for more info. It is in Metamucil also.

I use ground flax seed in all baked goods. I just add a tablespoon or two depending on what I am making, pizza crust, pancakes, biscuits, cakes, bread, etc.....

I also add it to my homemade salad dressings or sprinkle it on salads, I put it in potato salad and cole slaw. You could even add itt o scrambled eggs. I find it has no taste when add to recipes.