This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Probably Fed Up Of Postings Like This...

SlamDuncan

SlamDuncan Newbie

Evening all,

Just want to ask everyone here, who obviously knows a little something about gluten whether they think I might be joining the club. About this time last year, on returning from a month's trip in Thailand my stomach started being very uncomfortable the majority of the time. It wasn't painful, but rather uncomfortable. On going to the doctor's, I think they thought I was just moaning for nothing. I also put on a lot of weight. I used to be pretty skinny. I wasn't even aware of my weight because I didn't need to be. However, I have struggled with my weight for the past year. I've read somewhere that weight gain can be a symptom and it would explain a lot. As well as this, at Xmas, I then got quite a severe gingivitis, and didn't associate it at all. But couldn't really understand its appearance because I do take good care of my teeth. I have also had alternating diarrhea and constipation all year. Not all the time, just occasionally. Lately, after having eaten white bread for the first time in ages, my uncomfortable stomach and gassiness have returned.

Could this be an intolerance to gluten!? Why does it only flare up from time to time?!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast
Evening all,

Just want to ask everyone here, who obviously knows a little something about gluten whether they think I might be joining the club. About this time last year, on returning from a month's trip in Thailand my stomach started being very uncomfortable the majority of the time. It wasn't painful, but rather uncomfortable. On going to the doctor's, I think they thought I was just moaning for nothing. I also put on a lot of weight. I used to be pretty skinny. I wasn't even aware of my weight because I didn't need to be. However, I have struggled with my weight for the past year. I've read somewhere that weight gain can be a symptom and it would explain a lot. As well as this, at Xmas, I then got quite a severe gingivitis, and didn't associate it at all. But couldn't really understand its appearance because I do take good care of my teeth. I have also had alternating diarrhea and constipation all year. Not all the time, just occasionally. Lately, after having eaten white bread for the first time in ages, my uncomfortable stomach and gassiness have returned.

Could this be an intolerance to gluten!? Why does it only flare up from time to time?!

Well, if it's literally stomach trouble then it probably wouldn't be gluten, as the problem is in the small intestine. If you feel a lot of gurgling as if the food is moving really fast through the digestive tract, that could be gluten intolerance or celiac disease. You can either get tested or go gluten free and see if it helps. Why the symptoms vary is something we all wonder about; they vary from person to person, too. You may have other intolerances or sensitivities or you may have allergies that are coinciding with gluten sensitivity; the multiple whammy may be the reason for noticeable flareups. Regardless, welcome to the board.

At #5 below, cyberprof corrects me on stomach trouble and celiac; sorry if I gave misinformation.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I had terrible diarrhea, nearly every night, sometimes 1/2 of the day. My stomach would hurt so much, and sometimes, it felt like one huge black and blue. Gluten intolerance does not just involve the small intestine. Your symptoms sound to me as though you should get tested, and soon. Some of us have severe symptoms, some have milder...no 2 are exactly alike.

Get tested, if the test comes back negative, go gluten free anyways, and see how you feel.

missy'smom Collaborator

Sounds like possible celiac disease. I had alternating D and C. Also was always thin and never had to watch my weight but had gained unwanted weight gain-mostly all in the midsection- in the years that I was the sickest, just before I found out about celiac disease, that dropped off immediately after going gluten-free. I track my weight now, for other reasons and usually notice a slight gain when I have been glutened. I always felt so much better-like I was a new person- when I went to Japan and couldn't figure out why, I was still ingesting gluten there but maybe enough less that it made a difference. I had a growth on my gums that had to be removed. Oral surgeon couldn't give me any explanation other than "these things happen and we don't know why" but my instincts associated it with immune system/nutrient deficiency/some gut connection even before I learned about celiac disease.

cyberprof Enthusiast
Well, if it's literally stomach trouble then it probably wouldn't be gluten, as the problem is in the small intestine. If you feel a lot of gurgling as if the food is moving really fast through the digestive tract, that could be gluten intolerance or celiac disease. You can either get tested or go gluten free and see if it helps. Why the symptoms vary is something we all wonder about; they vary from person to person, too. You may have other intolerances or sensitivities or you may have allergies that are coinciding with gluten sensitivity; the multiple whammy may be the reason for noticeable flareups. Regardless, welcome to the board.

Not to be arguementative, but I DID have stomach pain. I thought I had an ulcer, but it wasn't always a sharp pain. Sometimes sharp, sometimes dull. Some nausea.

Slamduncan, I too gained a lot of weight right before diagnosis. I complained to my doc that I was so bloated I gained 6 inches in my waist in three months. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to lose it but it is a will-power problem with me.

Hope that helps.

~Laura

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast
Not to be arguementative, but I DID have stomach pain. I thought I had an ulcer, but it wasn't always a sharp pain. Sometimes sharp, sometimes dull. Some nausea.

Slamduncan, I too gained a lot of weight right before diagnosis. I complained to my doc that I was so bloated I gained 6 inches in my waist in three months. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to lose it but it is a will-power problem with me.

Hope that helps.

~Laura

No no, feel free to be argumentative; I don't mind being corrected. I'll edit my response to refer SlamDuncan down to this one.

SlamDuncan Newbie

Thanks for your help guys.

I'm starting to think from scanning around that a gluten intolerance is seeming like the most obvious reason for all my discomfort. I've booked myself an appointment on Monday and since I have something to go from, the doctor will hopefully take me more seriously this time. Last time I went, I just explained the dull pain around my upper left rib and they shrugged it off. One even told me to sit properly in lectures. Yes, that was helpful. Ha.

I'll keep you posted. I really just want an answer to all the bother, especially my initial weight gain...

Fingers crossed that it all becomes clear.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ginsou Explorer

SlamDuncan, great to hear you will be seeing a doctor. 30 years ago I became ill, and was diagnosed as being lactose intolerant. I stopped dairy, and drank Lactaid milk and took lactose enzyme pills for about 30 years, and still was sick. About 15 years ago I had excruciating pain and my gastro doc said it was "probably" IBS and he have me some blue pills to see if that helped. They didn't, and he got very upset when I told him I got worse while taking the pills and stopped them. I never went back to him, and later found out the pills (Bentyl)he gave me contained lactose! I've always been underweight and super skinny, with a pot belly.

Fast forward to 2 years ago, still in much pain, bloated,gas,constipation,diarrhea,nausea, heartburn. I landed in the emergency room because of the pain level without insurance coverage and of course, it was recommended that I see a gastro doc. I had a CT scan done in the hospital to make sure there was no life threatening problem, and I was greatly relieved to hear that the CT was negative.

Today I am basically pain free. To make a long story short, blood tests for celiac were negative, stool tests and DNA from EnteroLab was positive for celiac/gluten, casein, soy. Blood tests for food allergies showed problem with all grains including oatmeal, soy, sesame, and chicken. A year later, blood tests still showed these same problems. Endoscope showed no damage to intestines (had been off gluten for 1 1/2 years),small hiatal hernia, and colonoscopy showed polyps and intestinal inflammation. It took a lot of detective work on my part during the past two years to figure out what food was causing the problem. I also discovered the lactase enzyme pills that I had been taking also contained wheat and soy. These ingredients were never labeled on the pills until the past 2 years (they were liquid pills from Vitamin World).

You've taken the right steps to find out what the problem is. It may take several tests, and perhaps several doctors, but it will be worth it. Good luck and keep us informed.

missy'smom Collaborator
Thanks for your help guys.

I'm starting to think from scanning around that a gluten intolerance is seeming like the most obvious reason for all my discomfort. I've booked myself an appointment on Monday and since I have something to go from, the doctor will hopefully take me more seriously this time. Last time I went, I just explained the dull pain around my upper left rib and they shrugged it off. One even told me to sit properly in lectures. Yes, that was helpful. Ha.

I'll keep you posted. I really just want an answer to all the bother, especially my initial weight gain...

Fingers crossed that it all becomes clear.

Print off a checklist of symptoms and take it with you to show them. Here's one there are others out there. Find one that fits you-from a nationally recognised celiac disease organization or hospital or univerity celiac disease center to give it credibility.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived