Liddle4

Blood Test Positive?

Rate this topic

My 7 year old has major growth issues and has been labeled failure to thrive. All the blood work came back Celiac positive. Did a small intestine biopsy and the dr. said looks really red and irratated. Told us to go ahead and start gluten free, then 3 days later says the biopsy was negative. Could he still have celiac?

I have a similar issue, you can see my post here.

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...c=59969&hl=

We have not got the results yet but after the biopsy she said it all look really good and normal. So if the biopsy comes back negative I am a little confused but if you read my post it is common to have a mis diagnoses, I had a negative biopsy 9 yrs ago and a few months back finally had another biopsy which was positive. I wish I had known 9 yrs ago and gone gluten-free then I may still have a gallbladder and would not have gone through years of bloating constipation and migraines just to name a few.

Obviously the antibodies are there or you would not get a positive blood test. I am not much help sorry but I understand your concern.

Yes, your son had Celiac. Rarely will you find false positives in a serologic blood panel for Celiac. The biopsy may not have been sampled from an infected area or it could be early enough not to cause a great deal of damage.

With a positive blood test, coupled with a noticeable irritated gut with failure to thrive, I would put your son on a gluten free diet immediately. A positive dietary response will leave you with no doubt about his diagnosis.

This is a great place to meet people in your same position. Welcome :)