This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Cosmetics And Toiletries

Lisa79

Lisa79 Enthusiast

Can someone point me in the direction of information on Gluten in Costmetics and Toiletries, I am sure there has been many posts before, its not something I am aware of, I was only under the impression Gluten caused effect if digested?

I guess the other thing is I am from Australia so products are probably different to the US.

Many Thanks

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FMcGee Explorer

Gluten is only a problem when it's digested, but cosmetics and shampoo and things like that can get into your mouth pretty easily. I don't worry at all about things like eye shadow, but I shoot for gluten-free lip stuff (chapstick, gloss, whatever) and lotion, unless I'm going to wash my hands right after putting the lotion on my legs or whatever. I know it's worth checking on toothpaste and that kind of thing, but Crest is all gluten-free and that's what I've always used, so I'm just sticking with it. I don't know what's available in Australia or whether things are made differently for that market, but I use Neutrogena Moisture Shine lip gloss, which is gluten-free. Oh, and Organix shampoos, which are also gluten-free (shampoo can get in your mouth pretty easily, it turns out). I just call or e-mail companies when I want to know. I think some websites that sell gluten-free stuff sell toiletries, so it's worth checking there.

oceangirl Collaborator

Not sure about Australia but Lancome's line Le Rouge Absolu is gluten free. Also, Ecco Bella and I BELIEVE a company called Bare Essentials. Others will post.

good luck,

lisa

Krysten Newbie

People have had issues with their hair falling out & rashes, etc from shampoos w/gluten in them and I got DH from a lotion with gluten and I had a lot of eye problems that I had never experienced before and found it was the wheat germ oil in my mascara. As soon as I stopped using the mascara, no more problems (I had thought it was a freak allergy thing).

I used Everyday Minerals mineral makeup for my face & their loose eye shadows and eye liners. Afterglow cosmetics are all gluten-free and they carry lipstick, mascara--everything. Some (not all) Burt's Bees products are gluten-free and I use the lip shimmers as lipstick. I really love those. If you e-mail Burt's Bees you can find out what's gluten-free and what isn't. Everyday Minerals and Afterglow are companies you can order from online. I have heard that NARS is all gluten-free, but you might want to doublecheck. Some kiss My Face products are gluten-free & they have a list on their website. Usually the gluten-free info is under FAQS on websites. And Gluten-Free Savonnerie

www.gfsoap.com has shampoos, body powder, lotion, soaps, etc and they have another company Dakota free with gluten-free products. Their shampoos is my favorite.

Wurlitzer1 Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I actually just received the following email from Bare Escentuals, which is super helpful. I think I'm going to print it out and bring it to Sephora when I upgrade my cosmetics to gluten free. I had checked out Afterglow as well as Jane iredale, which are both gluten free, but they are above my price range.

Dear Maria,

Thank you for contacting Bare Escentuals.

I am happy to provide your with more information about the gluten content of our products. We take great pride in the quality of our products. Most bareMinerals products are gluten free. This includes bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation, all-over face colors, blushes, eyecolors, glimmers, glimpses, liner shadows, brow minerals and body minerals. Many of our i.d. Bare Escentuals products are also gluten free, including most lip products.

Then only products that we carry containing gluten are the 100% Natural Lipcolors, 100% Natural Lip Glosses, RareMinerals Products, and the bareVitamins Skin Rev-er Upper contains Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract. The 100% Natural Lip Liners contain barley lipids but they have been tested to be gluten free.

Meet our newest innovation, an oil-free foundation primer for a shine-free complexion:

PrimeTime Oil Control

A silicone-free, oil-free primer developed for oily, sensitive or problem-prone skin to instantly smooth the complexion prior to bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation. Clinically proven to control oily shine all day. It glides on seamlessly, leaving skin looking immediately refreshed and ready for foundation.

We hope this is helpful, but please do not hesitate to contact us with any additional questions you may have via email or by phone at 1-888-795-4747 during our business hours Monday through Saturday 5 AM to 9 PM, Sunday 7 AM to 4 PM Pacific Time.

Customer satisfaction is Bare Escentuals #1 priority; we appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Warmest Regards,

Krystal

Bare Escentuals Beauty Associate

Phone: 1.888.795.4747

www.bareMinerals.com

In addition, I received the following letter from Aveda, which will not guarantee any product is gluten free and advises that we read the ingredients list:

Dear Maria,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Aveda.

We appreciate you inquiring about the ingredients in Aveda products. We regret we do not have a listing of Aveda products that are gluten free to offer you. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause you.

Consumers will find ingredient listings on our primary packaging material, in accordance with FDA regulations, using names which are standard throughout the cosmetic and fragrance industry. Because of the vast number of raw materials from different sources, it is not possible to guarantee that our products are completely free of any of the grains specified. We trust that this information is helpful to you and are glad to have been of assistance.

We are happy to provide the ingredient listings for any Aveda product you are interested in using. Please contact us again with the specific names of the Aveda products you are interested in. We recommend reviewing these listings with your physician.

We invite you to call Aveda Customer Relations at 1.800.328.0849 to discuss any questions you have.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns.

Sincerely,

Tricia

AVEDA - Customer Relations - Blaine

Aveda Global Consumer Communications

I also just called Dior because I love Dior Show mascara. Their representative said it was gluten free!

Hope this is helpful!

-Maria

Lisa16 Collaborator

Lipstick:

Chanel (all lpstick and gloss okay)

Clinique (some)

Nars (whole line is gluten-free)

Smashbox (everything but mascara)

EcoNvey (no gluten ingredients)

Lancome (some)

T. Leclerc (whole line appears to be gluten-free)

Guerlain (see list posted here)

100% pure (go through makeup.com or their own website-- everything but mascara)

Shisheido

Mascara:

Nars

Guerlain

Shisheido

Etc. (blush, foundation, etc.)

Everyday Minerals (there is a HUGE thread here)

Nars

EcoNvey

T. Leclerc

Guerlain

100% pure (they make a great thing that is a lipstick/blusher)

check out korres new line too

smashbox (there are some great kits of sephora)

Shisheido

For shampoos:

Lush

Rene Futerer (read label-- not all of them)

Phyto (read label-- not all of them)

Conditioners (read labels):

korres (see post on here-- long lists of okay stuff)

phyto

alterna

Lush

Styling porducts (hair)

Kores soft shine yucca wax

Phyto (many things are okay including karanja oil shine spray, pro hair spray and phytomist)

Lotions and moisturizers and face washes:

Sundari

Korres (tons!-- the body butter is fantastic for dry skin)

Lush (tons! I Love helping heands for handcream)

100% pure (they make a nice foaming face wash)

Caudalie (only three things are not okay-- a shampoo and two creams)

Juara (no gluten ingredients)

Happy shopping!

I have posted about all of these here-- use the search feature.

• 4 weeks later...
Jeanniebug Apprentice

I bought some Bare Minerals 100% natural lipgloss AND lipstick this weekend thinking it was fine. I got really sick as of yesterday and could not figure out why. The above response from Bare Essentuals/Minerals says these DO contain gluten. I called the customer service number to confirm this and read them the email. They put me on hold to consult with a manager and corporate office...they came back and said they are gluten-free! So I don't know what else to do except avoid the line altogether. The conflicting information makes me really nervous. I also read the ingredients in the store and asked the sales rep and she said it was fine. :( Ugh!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jamied Newbie

hi all,

received the below email from Organix...they make the vanilla sham/cond/styling i love love love it...

and the entire line is gluten-free!

QTE

Dear Jamie, Thank you so much for contacting us!

I have checked with our chemist and she assures me that our entire Organix line is gluten-free.

We use only glycerin from vegetable source. Enjoy! Visit our blog at Open Original Shared Link Sincerely, Customer Service DepartmentVogue International T: 813.855.8035F: 813.855.8031www.vogueintl.com

UQTE

I also have been using bare minerals for 5yrs w/out the itching,burning skin reaction i got from the other 100 foundatios i used before...funny i see the skin rev-upper has oat in it...that would explain the redness, itching, and

immediate breakouts that followed that 1st evening..

as far as their glosses....within minutes of applying my lips feel hot and burning...and leaves a 'film' in yr mouth..this cannot be a good sign.

Hope this helps someone besides me :)

oceangirl Collaborator

That is grim! It's horrible to feel symptomatic when something claims it is gluten free. Have you thought about possible other triggers for reactions?

I will report that I am a SUPER DUPER sensitive and I've used Lancome's Le Rouge Absolu line of lipsticks for 3 years and NEVER had an issue. It's pricey, but it is worth it. It also tends to last well...

Just a thought,

lisa

Wurlitzer1 Newbie
I bought some Bare Minerals 100% natural lipgloss AND lipstick this weekend thinking it was fine. I got really sick as of yesterday and could not figure out why. The above response from Bare Essentuals/Minerals says these DO contain gluten. I called the customer service number to confirm this and read them the email. They put me on hold to consult with a manager and corporate office...they came back and said they are gluten-free! So I don't know what else to do except avoid the line altogether. The conflicting information makes me really nervous. I also read the ingredients in the store and asked the sales rep and she said it was fine. :( Ugh!

Hi Jeannie - Yes I should have specified that in the email they listed the products that do contain gluten. The email states that all of their other products are gluten free!

• 4 weeks later...
Jeanniebug Apprentice

Thanks Wurlitzer1, your email listing the products was very very helpful. :) It was an unfortunate incident because I've definitely tried to be very very careful about my lip products. I thought it was ok, I went into the store and the sales person said it was gluten-free lipstick, one way after another I was mis-informed and wound up getting sick. What turned me off the most was when I called their customer service to check on the gluten factor, customer service AND their corporate offices again tried to tell me the 100% natural lipstick was gluten-free. This was incorrect information and I would rather deal with a product line that is more informed. I have an Esthetician license and I won't work with a company that is this far off the mark on an ingredient question over the phone. I tried to tell them we have a customer service response/list here on celiac.com from Bare Essentuals that this lipstick is NOT ok and they didn't have anything to say about that. :unsure: I still have to look to the product line to be sure like anyone with this problem.

hermitgirl Contributor

I know it has been a while, but when I called and spoke to customer service with Bare Essentials, they told me that their lip products contained Barley Oil, therefore were not safe for someone with celiac. I specifically said that I had celiac, so maybe that was the difference?

Archived