pupok

Dry Socket Clove Paste

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I had my wisdom teeth out last Friday and had my follow-up appt. with the oral surgeon earlier today. Apparently I had a dry socket, which would explain the pain I've been in! In any case, he cleaned out the socket and put some kind of clove-tasting brown paste in it. He gave me a monoject syringe full of the paste and told me to put it in the socket twice a day for the next few days.

Unfortunately it didn't occur to me until after I was back at work to ask him what are the ingredients in this paste. After doing a little googling I have a feeling it's gluten-free, but I normally wouldn't put anything in my mouth without verifying first so now I'm worried. By the time I called his office, they had already closed for the day and they don't reopen until Monday.

I don't really want to bother him by calling their emergency pager line to ask him about this, so I thought I'd ask here first. Are any of you familiar with this paste? Do you know whether it's gluten free? I know there could be several manufacturers but I'm trying to get a general idea. I'm guessing that if it's not, I will probably find out the hard way before Monday anyways.

The paste is a rather thick consistency, and smells of cloves. It is dark brown.

To be totally sure it's gluten free, you would have to call the dentist, get the proper name and an 800# to call. That's the only way to be sure.

Does your dentist know you are celiac? If he does he should have checked the product before use and I would go ahead and use it. If he doesn't know it is already in your mouth and you will know yourself before long. I would go ahead and use it under your circumatances unless you notice a reaciton.

Does your dentist know you are celiac? If he does he should have checked the product before use and I would go ahead and use it. If he doesn't know it is already in your mouth and you will know yourself before long. I would go ahead and use it under your circumatances unless you notice a reaciton.

Yes,he knows I have celiac and I mentioned it several times. However he might not have been thinking of that when he gave me the paste... Even I forgot to think about it! Honestly I was just so glad he had something that would relieve the pain.

I hate to have to choose between the pain of a glutening and the pain of dry socket, but the dry socket was worse. He said that I will heal quickly with the paste so I'm hoping I won't need it for long. If I notice that I feel glutened over the weekend I will give in and call the emergency number. I'm not sure if he's going to have another option for me, though.

I'm kicking myself for forgetting to ask him when I was there!

Yes,he knows I have celiac and I mentioned it several times. However he might not have been thinking of that when he gave me the paste... Even I forgot to think about it! Honestly I was just so glad he had something that would relieve the pain.

I hate to have to choose between the pain of a glutening and the pain of dry socket, but the dry socket was worse. He said that I will heal quickly with the paste so I'm hoping I won't need it for long. If I notice that I feel glutened over the weekend I will give in and call the emergency number. I'm not sure if he's going to have another option for me, though.

I'm kicking myself for forgetting to ask him when I was there!

I am glad the paste is helping with the pain. I have never experienced dry socket but have heard the pain is horrendous. I have my fingers crossed for you that it is gluten-free. Much of the stuff dentists use is so hopefully this is also. I hope you heal quickly.