Chris Cornell

Travelling To Berlin

Rate this topic

Hi,

I am seeking recommendations on restaurants, hotels & supermarkets that will accommodate a coeliac in Berlin (esp CBD area) & Potsdam, with a low-med price range.

All suggestions would be much appreciated.

Chris

I recommend renting an apartment so that you can prepare your own meals. There are many apartments available for short-term visitors in Berlin. My wife and I stayed there during the week after Christmas four years ago, and found a health food store (called Reformhaus in Germany) just a few blocks away.

Berlin is great for food (all of Germany actually is quite gluten-free friendly - I live in a neighboring country and nearly all of the gluten-free products I buy come from there). Be sure to check out the DM and Rossman drug stores. They carry quite a few gluten-free food options and can be found around the city.

There's a large outdoor organic food market (I can't remember what it's called, but it's quite well known and in all the guide books). Anyway near the market is a health food grocery store type place with plenty of safe food options (the market itself is quite good too).

I also had great luck at a vegetarian Vietnamese restaurant in the centre (can't remember the name of it either, but I think there's only one). They were really knowledgeable about their food and cooked me a safe stir fry type thing.

I did have a kitchen when I was there but would have been fine without it too. Have fun...