nj36

Just Went Gluten Free And Feel Terrible..is This Normal?

Rate this topic

Hi - I was very recently diagnosed as having a gluten allergy and just started my gluten-free diet 2 days ago. I know it will take time to see results but right now I feel awful. Nauseated, terrible heartburn, and I've been sleeping most of the day. Is it possible to go through withdrawal from gluten or for my body to be de-toxing from the gluten? Has anyone else experienced this and how long does it last? Any advice or tips are much appreciated!

Yes, it is possible. I didn't but I have read of so many others... it is a typical reaction.

When I was trying to figure out what to avoid, I would get into these funks where I was unknowingly cross contaminating myself. I would do fruit and water and green tea only for several meals and that would clear it up. At first you're hungry, but then your head clears and you feel much more energetic.

I do remember terrible nausea and the tireness. I would drag around the house for a couple weeks. Everyone told me it would take time to clear the gluten out but when I started feeling better I could think clearer and had energy. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Hi - I was very recently diagnosed as having a gluten allergy and just started my gluten-free diet 2 days ago. I know it will take time to see results but right now I feel awful. Nauseated, terrible heartburn, and I've been sleeping most of the day. Is it possible to go through withdrawal from gluten or for my body to be de-toxing from the gluten? Has anyone else experienced this and how long does it last? Any advice or tips are much appreciated!

It took me approximately two weeks before I felt 80% better. I am not in my 3rd month of being gluten free and most days I feel 90% or so back to normal. Unfortunately, something no one ever told me, that you may become hypersensitive as your body "detoxes" from the gluten and each subsequent reaction is worse and harder... I'm going through one now and for the first time it actually made me leave work... ugh!