This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

If One Has..... Would Your Comprehensive Metabolic Panel Likely Not Come Back Average?

Serversymptoms

Serversymptoms Contributor

It seems like my mom is only set to request a comprehensive metabolic panel. She claims that it will test for everything, though I stated to her that it will mainly be dealing with liver, kidney, diabetes etc... and not sure if it will alert doctors about a undiagnosed health condition. So if one is celiac, or have thyroid, candida problems etc... would your comprehensive metabolic panel likely not come back average?

This is dire, thanks

(self diagnosed as gluten and yeast intolerance)

My skin rash actually is disapearing with the absence of yeast, along with calluses. I did the candida spit test, came back positive. I'm not sure if I'm intolerance to yeast genetically, or by candida. Though I suspect my gluten and yeast intolerance contributed to candida and other health conditions during my life.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

The CMP (and CBC) is an excellent place to start, but it won't tell you anything about your thyroid. Do you have symptoms consistent with one of these autoimmune thyroid disorders?

Hashimoto's Disease (hypothyroidism)

- Constipation

- Weight gain

- Hair loss

- Dry skin

- Brittle nails

- Feeling cold all the time

- Fatigue

- Depression

- Irregular, heavy periods

Graves Disease (hyperthyroidism)

- Weight loss

- Feeling warm all the time

- Fast heartrate

- Hyperactivity

- Insomnia

- Strong appetite

- Frequent BMs (not necessarily diarrhea)

Personally, I think my problems with Hashimoto's started when I was 17. I suddenly lost a lot of hair and gained 20 pounds. But... my family didn't have health insurance, so I never had it checked out! By the time I found out (when I was 32) my TSH was more than ten times over the normal limit. Although you probably don't want to go that long without checking ;) hypothyroidism is NOT going to kill you. (It can, but trust me... you would have a lot of warning signs). Hyperthyroidism is a little more dangerous since it can put a strain on your heart, but some people experience hyperthyroidism before their thyroid burns itself out (giving them hypothyroidism)... it doesn't necessarily require any treatment.

The best thing you can do is eat a healthy diet and pay attention to your body... panic doesn't help!

daphniela Explorer

My metabolic came back normal and I tested positive for Celiac.

tarnalberry Community Regular

A CMP only tests certain parts of the body involved in metabolism (that is NOT the same as digestion (e.g. celiac), or hormone release/update (e.g. thyroid). It's "complete" (well, moderately well rounded) METABOLIC panel, not "complete head to toe blood testing".

This site will tell you what is included, in case having something for your mom would help: Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for replies, any test that will deal more with my digestion system?

Would one recommend for me to have a vitamin test instead of a CMP, or possibly both?

Would one recommend for me to have a vitamin test instead of a CMP, or possibly both?

Figuring out what tests to do, when you don't know where you're starting from, really does require the guidance of a professional. That means finding one who will work with you, of course. It doesn't have to be an MD, though. An NP, OD, natruopath, etc. All can help you figure it out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Figuring out what tests to do, when you don't know where you're starting from, really does require the guidance of a professional. That means finding one who will work with you, of course. It doesn't have to be an MD, though. An NP, OD, natruopath, etc. All can help you figure it out.

Thanks,

This is very hard to do considering that I'm only 17 years old and have already begun seeing a physchologist, also told tomorrow there will be a phyciactrist there. If test isn't ordered for me tomorrow then I will be ending my time there most likely tomorrow or next Wensday. Since everything is getting off track of my health and more to a mental stage... actually to note since removing yeast now I'm starting to dream everytime I sleep now, which use to be really rare. Lump on my head tend to change shape more often also. Most things I've described such as candida, if it cant be professionally look at I will have to buy ThreeLac ( I have no other choice). For malnutrition, I may just have to buy vitamins, and for thyroid and pre-diabetes etc... I don't know if this will be looked at anytime soon either since I'm literally being neglected. It also will be difficult to find anyone to work with me thats not my MD considering I'm on medicaid, I think being on medicaid most actions have to be taken through with doctors.

Since I have therapy etc... tomorrow I will figure out whats all going on, really would like this taken care of before senior year and Also so I can score well on my ACT I plan to retake in September.

Thanks,

This is very hard to do considering that I'm only 17 years old and have already begun seeing a physchologist, also told tomorrow there will be a phyciactrist there. If test isn't ordered for me tomorrow then I will be ending my time there most likely tomorrow or next Wensday. Since everything is getting off track of my health and more to a mental stage... actually to note since removing yeast now I'm starting to dream everytime I sleep now, which use to be really rare. Lump on my head tend to change shape more often also. Most things I've described such as candida, if it cant be professionally look at I will have to buy ThreeLac ( I have no other choice). For malnutrition, I may just have to buy vitamins, and for thyroid and pre-diabetes etc... I don't know if this will be looked at anytime soon either since I'm literally being neglected. It also will be difficult to find anyone to work with me thats not my MD considering I'm on medicaid, I think being on medicaid most actions have to be taken through with doctors.

Since I have therapy etc... tomorrow I will figure out whats all going on, really would like this taken care of before senior year and Also so I can score well on my ACT I plan to retake in September.

It is tough. But if you have a psychologist you're already seeing, you might be able to talk to him/her about it. You certainly have to make sure to not come off obsessed, but rather well-informed and conscientious. When you see the doc, don't say "oh my god you guys never believe me but I have this, this, this, this other thing, that, that other thing, and this thing." Take your two or three most severe, *life-impacting* (not weird to you (like dreaming), but prevent-me-from-living-like-a-normal-person) symptoms, and start there. And don't say "I want this test, that test, and this test." But rather, "based on how I'm feeling, I'm concerned I may not be at optimal vitamin/mineral levels. can we check to see that these things are ok?" (not exactly wording, of course, but a much more "I'm-working-with-you,-but-taking-the-lead" sort of tone.)

Whatever you do, if you're mother is there, and you are fighting with her on this issue, do NOT become reactive to anything she says. Might be the hardest challenge of the day, but instead, take the lead from her, being the one interacting with the doctor. Yeah, you'll likely have to deal with some heat afterwards, but that's between you and her - getting good care from the doctor is more important.

It is tough. But if you have a psychologist you're already seeing, you might be able to talk to him/her about it. You certainly have to make sure to not come off obsessed, but rather well-informed and conscientious. When you see the doc, don't say "oh my god you guys never believe me but I have this, this, this, this other thing, that, that other thing, and this thing." Take your two or three most severe, *life-impacting* (not weird to you (like dreaming), but prevent-me-from-living-like-a-normal-person) symptoms, and start there. And don't say "I want this test, that test, and this test." But rather, "based on how I'm feeling, I'm concerned I may not be at optimal vitamin/mineral levels. can we check to see that these things are ok?" (not exactly wording, of course, but a much more "I'm-working-with-you,-but-taking-the-lead" sort of tone.)

Whatever you do, if you're mother is there, and you are fighting with her on this issue, do NOT become reactive to anything she says. Might be the hardest challenge of the day, but instead, take the lead from her, being the one interacting with the doctor. Yeah, you'll likely have to deal with some heat afterwards, but that's between you and her - getting good care from the doctor is more important.

Yeah I've done that, tried not to be obsessed with the test I need but told them my symptoms and gave awareness of what I think it may be. Last week the psychologist mention to me about my candida spit test that maybe mines is not at a high level, which is why nothing showed up on a cat scan or x-ray. I mention over how that could not be determine by such. Then the psychologist mention okay well you can mention this when you see your doctor next year. That alarmed me that I should no longer countinue, which I plan on ending my time there this week or next week unless test are going to be ordered. Also heard a physcriactrist will be there tomorrow or next Wensday, a expert in ordering perscriptions.... so as I see everything is getting off track and it does me no good anymore to attend such a place. All that I suspect I may have, I can nearly self diagnosed candida by buying threelac, and also malnutrition with vitamins ( eventually as health get better I will no longer be malnutrition), though a thyroid problem would be hard to figure out itself. There are just some things that would be nice for a doctor to be alerted about and possibly diagnosed it quicker etc....I also always talk to the doctor, though they also would ask my mom questions... my mom mention to me that she will ask if I can get a CMP, though I would really like a candida test instead... and so then get a biopsy.... and maybe from there everything else will be look at.

I have too many symptoms to really name, but I looked into dreaming and it has a lot to do with your health.... noting that I do have a lump on the back of my head which tries to change shape. Yeah, this is all really horrible.

Archived