BRS-07

Lactose Intolerance?

Rate this topic

So after getting sick for awhile, my husband and I finally figured out it was a dairy problem. I started taking lactaid pills about three weeks ago and the sickness disappeared. However, since about 5 days ago, I've been getting dairy sick even with taking the lactaid pills. Do the pills just stop working after a few weeks? I can eat baked things like muffins that contain milk with no problem, it is just the pure forms like milk, dressing, cream cheese, yogurt, etc. From what I know currently, since I can eat baked dairy, then casein shouldn't be an issue. Has anyone else had issues like this before? (I'm 4 months gluten free if that makes a difference) Thanks.

it could be a casein issue if it's a matter of a small intolerance. (basically, your body can handle a certain amount, but no more. so, muffins, if the recipe calls for a cup of milk for two dozen muffins, you're getting just over a tablespoon of milk in a whole muffin. that's not very much.)

but it could be that you need the stronger dose of lactaid, or to make sure to take it a little earlier (5-10 minutes before eating the dairy). if something like a hard cheese or cultured yogurt are bothering you, it's probably the casein, because these things have very little lactose. if you try a hard cheese or yogurt with lactaid, and have issues, it's almost certainly the casein. (btw, not all generic brands of lactaid are gluten free, so it's worth checking on that as well.)

Can Lactose Intolerance turn into Casein? The cheese is definently a problem. I also got really really sick off of about a tablespoon of ranch dressing, which is almost all milk cause it is Newmans.

I'm curious about this as well.

I was just hit really hard recently by celiac.

I'd had it for a long time, not knowing what it was, but then about a year after I had my daughter I became sick nearly all of the time, until I finally made the decision to try going gluten free.

After that I was about 80% better.

But then I realized I was having problems with dairy as well.

Cheese and rich ice cream REALLY does me in.

I can eat the cheap bucket ice cream just fine, but the soft serve at the ice cream shop made me run for the bathroom as soon as I got home.

I'm not sure if ranch dressing does it or not, as I didn't even think about that giving me troubles.

I hope not, it's about the only dressing I like!!!!

I can also drink kefir, without seeming to have problems.