mushroom

Osteoporosis

Rate this topic

I am currently weighing my options for when I get back the results of my DEXA scan which I know are bad. I just wondered what all those of you who have osteoporosis take, if anything, besides the obvious of Vitamin D, calcium, magnesium, zinc? What do you all think about the new so-called bone-building meds, and do they really do that?? Are there any downsides to taking them? Any and all opinions appreciated.

I am on calcium, 1000mg per day Vit D3 supplementation and get some magnesium in combo with the others and with multi vit. I am also on Fosamax. I have not persoally experienced any side effects from the Fosamax that I am aware of. Some people get bad uppper GI distress from Fosamax but I seem to tolerate it well. I am a 58-year-old male celiac with osteopenia adn very careful to eat gluten-free. Since starting Fosamax and the above mentioned supplements about 5 years ago I have made small gains in bone density. At my age I probably cannot expect more. At least I am not losing bone mass anymore.

I make a lot of broth from soup bones. 1/4 cup of this broth has 1 cup of milk's worth of calcium. I use it a lot in meat dishes.

I have all sorts of trouble with medications. I get lots of digestive problems from drugs. I don't tolerate otc medicines at all anymore. The broth is suppose to be easily absorbed. We'll see.

This is a break-out-the-champagne day!! I just received the DEXA scan results, and the doctor who did not want to even refer me for a DEXA scan because "you have a compression fracture, of course you have osteoporosis", and who prescribed calcitonin salmon nasal spray for me, now admits that I have normal bone density, no osteoporosis or osteopenia!! :D :D :D While I have lost some bone mass since three years ago it was not enough to drop me below the "normal for my age", but still enough that I will keep up with my regime but drop the calcitonin.

Congratulations! That truly is great news. I do use the Calcitonin and will go back next year for my 2nd DEXA scan....very nervous about whether it made any difference. But I am very glad for you!!

Congratulations! That truly is great news. I do use the Calcitonin and will go back next year for my 2nd DEXA scan....very nervous about whether it made any difference. But I am very glad for you!!

Thanks. :) Sure hope your DEXA scan comes out improved also.