jaciemack

Should I Ask Dr. About Celiac?

Rate this topic

I have been having symptoms for about a year now that just seem to be escalating. My gut hurts so bad I'm afraid to eat anything. But I get so hungry that at night I pretty much binge. I'm not digesting much. I can often tell ilve just eliminated something ilve eaten only a few hours before. I can tell my intestines are inflamed because of the pain for one but also the size of my stool is very thin. It seems to have a lot of mucus and blood in it also. I also have eczema on my chest and legs and in my hair. Everything I eat seems to give me heartburn. Ilm exhausted and often depressed. I'm miserable. Ilve been thinking ilve had some sort of food allergy and have eliminated dairy and eggs and peanuts. That hasnlt seemed to help at all. I'm at my whit's end! I was reading and looking for answers on the internet and read about celiac and it makes sense with all my symptoms. So today I havenlt had any gluten and I notice an immediate improvement. I still feel discomfort and pain but not as intense as yesterday and months before. I went to my gp today and asked for a rast test and specifically asked to be tested for gluten. He also set up an appt. For a gastro dr. I'm wondering if I should go to an allergist also? Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Jacie

Yes, ask him to test you for it, don't ask him what he thinks, tell him you want to rule it out. I always tell my kids, at least rule it out.

I have been having symptoms for about a year now that just seem to be escalating. My gut hurts so bad I'm afraid to eat anything. But I get so hungry that at night I pretty much binge. I'm not digesting much. I can often tell ilve just eliminated something ilve eaten only a few hours before. I can tell my intestines are inflamed because of the pain for one but also the size of my stool is very thin. It seems to have a lot of mucus and blood in it also. I also have eczema on my chest and legs and in my hair. Everything I eat seems to give me heartburn. Ilm exhausted and often depressed. I'm miserable. Ilve been thinking ilve had some sort of food allergy and have eliminated dairy and eggs and peanuts. That hasnlt seemed to help at all. I'm at my whit's end! I was reading and looking for answers on the internet and read about celiac and it makes sense with all my symptoms. So today I havenlt had any gluten and I notice an immediate improvement. I still feel discomfort and pain but not as intense as yesterday and months before. I went to my gp today and asked for a rast test and specifically asked to be tested for gluten. He also set up an appt. For a gastro dr. I'm wondering if I should go to an allergist also? Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Jacie

Yes and yes! Definitely see an allergist along with a gastro -- the more answers you get, the better. But just remember that you are the only one who lives inside your body and you know how you feel best -- BETTER than ANYONE ELSE. Don't let them tell you nothing is wrong when you know nothing is wrong.

I had many similar symptoms to yours before going gluten free. I, too, struggled with pain every time I ate, problems with bowel movements and my stools (VERY similar to yours). I could feel problem food moving through my system until it was eliminated. I always ate a lot at night (it felt like binging) because I knew I could just go to bed after eating and not suffer all of the consequences; plus my body was not actually digesting my food. I also have multiple food alleriges, but the problems did not clear up until I went gluten-free. But identifying other food allergies you may be struggling with may help you as well (watch out for soy -- it can be a very detrimental allergy and is in almost everything -- just like gluten, it can be hard to pinpoint).

Another suggestion is to be sure to keep a food journal -- write down what you ate and how you felt. That helps me to pinpoint things that got me sick in the start and allows me to catch mistakes I make now when I am accidentally "glutened." Be sure to be careful when trying new or different foods and be especially careful when eating out. Again, listen to your body and eat what feels good!!

Good luck and take care! I hope things get better for you soon!! :)