Eric_C

Celiac Specialities Rye Bread/flavored Flat Bread Review

Rate this topic

Celiac Specialties opened up a new store in Novi, MI that we're pretty close to.

We tried their Rye Bread and their Italian flat bread. We also sampled the white bread.

White bread was decent when toasted. Way better than any others we've tried but still not close enough to real bread for us to eat it.

The Rye bread however was great. Not good enough to put butter on and eat but its good enough for spinach dip. We made Rubens with it yesterday and they were fantastic. Toasted most people would not know from flavor. Density is a bit different but with the 1000 Island, corned beef, etc on the sandwich it tasted great. We did pan fry the bread for the sandwich.

Today we had ham/turkey sandwiches with mustard and lettuce. Toasted it slightly before making the sandwich and it was fantastic. With just a slightly dry feeling to it I could serve it to others and most would not know the difference. If you've gotten a sandwich from a deli near the end of the day and it was a bit dry, that's what this was like, bit of extra mustard and good as new.

We had their pizza crust before but last night we also took their flat bread and put a garlic/butter mix over it with some cheese to make cheese sticks and Pizza. Great flavor and again a food I could server to someone with out Celiac's that they'd enjoy.

Downside...the cost...nearly $7.00 for a load of bread and that about 75 percent the size of a standard loaf. The number of usable pieces for sandwiches is small. Flat bread was almost $5.00 for 4 pieces.

Celiac Specialties opened up a new store in Novi, MI that we're pretty close to.

We tried their Rye Bread and their Italian flat bread. We also sampled the white bread.

White bread was decent when toasted. Way better than any others we've tried but still not close enough to real bread for us to eat it.

The Rye bread however was great. Not good enough to put butter on and eat but its good enough for spinach dip. We made Rubens with it yesterday and they were fantastic. Toasted most people would not know from flavor. Density is a bit different but with the 1000 Island, corned beef, etc on the sandwich it tasted great. We did pan fry the bread for the sandwich.

Today we had ham/turkey sandwiches with mustard and lettuce. Toasted it slightly before making the sandwich and it was fantastic. With just a slightly dry feeling to it I could serve it to others and most would not know the difference. If you've gotten a sandwich from a deli near the end of the day and it was a bit dry, that's what this was like, bit of extra mustard and good as new.

We had their pizza crust before but last night we also took their flat bread and put a garlic/butter mix over it with some cheese to make cheese sticks and Pizza. Great flavor and again a food I could server to someone with out Celiac's that they'd enjoy.

Downside...the cost...nearly $7.00 for a load of bread and that about 75 percent the size of a standard loaf. The number of usable pieces for sandwiches is small. Flat bread was almost $5.00 for 4 pieces.

I'm gathering from your post that you are only Wheat intolerant and not Celiac, right?

Gluten containing grains include Wheat, RYE, Barley, Spelt, Triticale etc and even Oats (unless guaranteed Gluten Free) and then only if your Villi have completely healed and restrict youself to Max 50g per day!.

Best Regards,

David

Have you tried the mock rye bread from The Grainless Baker? It's EXCELLENT! You can eat it without toasting it and I frequently eat it untoasted with just a little margarine on it. IMO it's the best gluten free bread.

I'm gathering from your post that you are only Wheat intolerant and not Celiac, right?

Gluten containing grains include Wheat, RYE, Barley, Spelt, Triticale etc and even Oats (unless guaranteed Gluten Free) and then only if your Villi have completely healed and restrict youself to Max 50g per day!.

Best Regards,

David

Since Celiac Specialties is a completely gluten free shop, I think it's a safe bet this a mock rye bread without the rye.

richard

I react to walking by a bakery...its gluten free.

Everything they sell there is gluten free.

Still I'll double check with them tomorrow.

I react to walking by a bakery...its gluten free.

Everything they sell there is gluten free.

Still I'll double check with them tomorrow.

No need to check. EVERYTHING they make is gluten-free.

:) I love rye bread, I have to figure out how to do a decent gluten-free version, at 7 bucks a loaf, I could get motivated.

Ok it is a Mock Rye bread.

Its excellent...we've had it pretty much every day for lunch since we tried it.

The price I was wrong on...$9.86 per loaf.

So out of a loaf of bread we can make 8 sandwiches with ham/turkey/swiss cheese/mustard or may at a cost of $2.35 per sandwich. That's $.80 higher than a good multigrain bread per sandwich. You probably get 14 sandwiches out of a regular loaf.

So figuring making sandwiches averaging 4 days per week your spending $153.60 more per year over someone who can have wheat based bread.

We did find a place online that if we bought 10 loafs at a time would reduce that cost $.25 per sandwich but you have to find room to freeze 10 loafs.