welcomechange

Help Understanding Lab Results Please

Rate this topic

I have recently received results from my celiac/gluten sensitivity enteropathy screen and results are:

anti-gliadin, IgA 15.65 eu (normal 0.01-20)

anti-gliadin, IgG 17.48 eu (normal 0.01-20)

Anti-transglutaminase, IgA 10.19 eu (normal 0.0-20)

immunoglobulin IgA 107 mg/dl normal 70-300)

secretory IgA (saliva) 11.32 ug/ml (normal 7.25-21.5)

gliadin IgA (saliva) 8.2 eu (normal 0.1-10)

My physician categorized me as gluten sensitive and recommends a gluten free diet.

My question is this...since the values fall within the normal range, when is someone

considered sensitive and when does one actually need to go gluten free?

Welcome to the group!

The "normal" values on a celiac panel are set pretty high so by the time you go out of range you should have enough damage to your villi that it can be easily recognized with a biopsy. That being said... you don't need anyone's permission to go on a gluten-free diet. IMO, you're headed for full-blown celiac, which can have a lot of nasty (and sometimes irreversible) side effects. Why wait until you get there to change your diet? I think your doctor gave you good advice. How do you feel right now? What made your doctor test for celiac?

Welcome to the group!

The "normal" values on a celiac panel are set pretty high so by the time you go out of range you should have enough damage to your villi that it can be easily recognized with a biopsy. That being said... you don't need anyone's permission to go on a gluten-free diet. IMO, you're headed for full-blown celiac, which can have a lot of nasty (and sometimes irreversible) side effects. Why wait until you get there to change your diet? I think your doctor gave you good advice. How do you feel right now? What made your doctor test for celiac?

Thanks for your feedback. My physician has been trying to get to the bottom of extreme adrenal exhaustion for over 2 years now. I hope this is the root of the problem as I have been in Low Gear for quite some time now. I am about a month into following the physicians advice and going gluten free. I have taken it seriously and within the first 2-3 weeks I thought I noticed an improvement but this past week I've really been dragging. From what I am reading on this forum that might not be unusual.

I was always very tired before being gluten free. If up to my own will I could have slept 16+ hours a day. Within a few days of being gluten free I noticed a difference in energy levels and it's been months since I've been gluten free and I still notice a difference as I go along.

I say try it out. It's much better to get to the root of it before it gets any worse.